Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! So some of you have seen my previous posts about one of my newest additions, one of them being my HM Killian.

Everything seemed well and good, until tonight when I look at him swimming in his tank... I noticed he lost 4 scales on his back... and I'm furious! I found the culprit... it was the silk plant! While the leaves of the plant are smooth and soft and I did check it over to see if there are any sharp bits; I guess I must have missed some areas... and actually it was EXPOSED WIRE! I think whatever sealant/plastic or something that was hiding it dissolved in the tank water.

Anyways, I removed the plant immediately (poor Killian, his tank looks so empty now!) I've added in some AQ salts, stress coat and did a small water change to add in some rooibos tea to the mix, hopefully within a few days, that spot will heal and there won't be any major damage.

It's the first time I've ever had a problem with any fake plants in my tank...I ALWAYS check them thoroughly before putting them into my tank and soak them also *sigh*

I'm wondering if there are any members on here who are Aussie - I was hoping to get some silicone sealant from Bunnings (my local hardware store) and wanted to know what brand anyone has used that is aquarium safe. Although, perhaps any members might be able to help also! :) Please and thanks!! Killian will also thank you too (see second picture)!

I'll be attempting to file down the wire sticking out and seal it with aquarium safe sealant.

Thanks for any and all help!

FrostPixie

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Omg the bottom pic is adorable!! You should Enter it in the pic of the month competition!
Did u manage to find some sealant? I got some from my Lfs speciically for fish tanks before, I'm from the uk tho so not too sure what u can get in Australia. Defo worth asking in your Lfs I reckon! :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Omg the bottom pic is adorable!! You should Enter it in the pic of the month competition!
Did u manage to find some sealant? I got some from my Lfs speciically for fish tanks before, I'm from the uk tho so not too sure what u can get in Australia. Defo worth asking in your Lfs I reckon! :)
Haha thanks! I was thinking that!

I did manage to find sealant at a lfs. Thanks for asking! Also his scales are starting to come back...ive been using IAL in my tank

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha awesome! I'll use it for June! :-D

Yep... got the sealant last week and it cured overnight... it's by a company called Juwel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts