Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I strongly recommend doing a lot of in-depth research before investing in gouramis. They are a cousin of bettas and can be quite violent toward one another. The "kissing" is a sparring match... they are biting one another. Also, gouramis can get fairly large, so you would need a large tank with pristine water conditions. They are far more sensitive than bettas to poor water conditions.

If you wanted to see how you did with a gourami, maybe try a dwarf gourami first. They are very pretty and a little easier to handle at first than going with the larger variety. You can keep a dwarf gourami in a 7-10 gallon tank (10 is recommended) with a few peaceful community fish. No guppies. No bettas. Nothing that would challenge it. See how you like it and then go from there. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I strongly recommend doing a lot of in-depth research before investing in gouramis. They are a cousin of bettas and can be quite violent toward one another. The "kissing" is a sparring match... they are biting one another. Also, gouramis can get fairly large, so you would need a large tank with pristine water conditions. They are far more sensitive than bettas to poor water conditions.

If you wanted to see how you did with a gourami, maybe try a dwarf gourami first. They are very pretty and a little easier to handle at first than going with the larger variety. You can keep a dwarf gourami in a 7-10 gallon tank (10 is recommended) with a few peaceful community fish. No guppies. No bettas. Nothing that would challenge it. See how you like it and then go from there. :)
thanks bud. dwarf gouramis are cuter anyway XD they have the same grumpy betta faces

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
maybe try a dwarf gourami first.
Dwarf gourami's are not the best choice, dwarf gourami's are plagued by a virus, This virus has no cure at present and it's highly infectious meaning that if one fish is infected at the fish store then all of the gourami's are infected.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dwarf gourami's are not the best choice, dwarf gourami's are plagued by a virus, This virus has no cure at present and it's highly infectious meaning that if one fish is infected at the fish store then all of the gourami's are infected.
okay then, I will stick to betta fish for now

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had those kind of fish before, they were good fish. More than I expected them to be since I got them from Walmart. But they didn't last very long maybe about 6-8 months if that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts