Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make this simple, I will soon be upgrading to a 10 gallon divided tank for my two boys. I already have everything worked out, so my only thing to do for it is buy the stuff. But when I move my fish to the new home, I will be left with 2 1 gallon critter keepers to use as Quarantine tanks, :).
My question is, what should I buy to keep on hand for this future tank? My fish have never been sick, but I still want to be prepared for an emergency. I never browse through this section of the forum, so I'm pretty much completely blank on what to get :-(. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It's always good to have meds on hand. I panicked and had a hard time finding kanaplex when I really needed it. Had I found it eariler I might have saved my boy.

Aquarium salt.
Epsom salt (unscented)
Extra seachem prime
Kanaplex (it's used for many different kinds of problems)
I keep an ich medication on hand as well.

There are definitely some antibiotics you should get but I don't have much experience with them, luckily. Things like tetracycline and maracyn II I believe are the ones I see recommended for most illnesses when needed. I think methylene blue is used for ammonia burns which shouldn't happen if you're diligent on water changes but things happen and sometimes you have to treat things like that. Especially if you buy a sick fish at a store.

At the very least, if you can't pick all the different kinds of medications up at once, make a list of which stores in your area carry which medications.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I agree with everything Kithy posted.

I would also keep API General Cure and some type of Fungal Medication - API makes one or the Jungle Fungus Cure is good too.

I would make sure you get the Seachem kanaplex though! It is harder to find and when you need it, you need it right away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.