Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! OK, so do I ONLY feed my betta ONCE a day? He's a big eater, and I feel that I should feed him more than once a day? Would that be alright, or no? He could eat like seven or eight flakes a day!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You should feed your betta twice a day, 2-3 pellets per feeding. Feeding flakes is a bit tricky, because it's harder to determine how much to feed due to the fact different flakes can be different sizes. :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
whatever you do, don't listen to the stupid instructions on the food label telling you to feed it until it stops eating, my betta would eat the whole darn thing before stopping!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the right amount and times to feed bettas? I heard once every other day, once a week to twice a day. We're getting ready to go out of town for a week, can you leave enough pellets in the tank for the week!

·
Registered
288 Posts
What is the right amount and times to feed bettas? I heard once every other day, once a week to twice a day. We're getting ready to go out of town for a week, can you leave enough pellets in the tank for the week!

the best i've heard is to give them 2-4 pellets a day, and a varied diet is good. besides pellets, you can feed them frozen bloodworms or live mosquitoes. it all depends on what you prefer. only feed frozen bloodworms and live bugs as snacks, maybe twice a week. you can also fast them for one day a week to prevent them from being bloated.

if you go out of town for a week, you can decide to either not feed them or leave a feeding block that's appropriate for one week. either is fine.

DO NOT leave a week's worth of pellets in the tank. your betta will probably eat them all in ten minutes (which it can die from because of overfeeding), or most of them will sink and make your tank dirty.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
D: Do not leave a feeding block in there either. Feeding blocks don't work with bettas, and tend to leave you with a messy tank and potentially sick fish once you get back.

·
Registered
288 Posts
D: Do not leave a feeding block in there either. Feeding blocks don't work with bettas, and tend to leave you with a messy tank and potentially sick fish once you get back.
i've never had experience using a feeding block, but from what i've heard, it depends on which one you get. but now since you've said that, i don't think i'll ever use one now.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everybody! That was very helpful!

·
Registered
368 Posts
All feeding blocks have a substance that "melts" away in the water. It will turn the water to crap really fast. It's better to let your fish go without food than to give them a block that overfeeds and fouls the water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.