Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!​

I recently go a betta who is honestly not the brightest fish I've ever had. He is a strange eater who takes floating pellets and spits them onto the bottom of the tank and then proceeds to make a mushy mess over the span of a few hours. It's really quite something.

So I thought: Snail.

But it never occurred to me that this poor snail has needs too. o_o;​

How do I make sure it is eating enough? What are the signs of a healthy snail?
I've never needed to have a bottom feeder before and I'm pretty nervous.​

·
Registered
145 Posts
3g is pretty small for a betta and an apple snail. Apple snails can grow to be the size of, well, an apple. Unless you mean a mystery snail (which is a type of apple snail, but stays much smaller), but even then that would be a bit tight imo.

Also, apple snails/mystery snails poop a lot. So if you're getting it purely to clean up it's a little counter intuitive. That said I have a mystery snail in my 4.5g and I find him super interesting to watch. I've had some in the past that were shy around the betta and would hide in their shell a lot and only come out at night, but the one I have now moves constantly and eats literally anything. ...except for the algae on the tank walls. Typical. The betta poked at the snail a bit when he was first introduced but now completely ignores him.

Feeding wise, I can tell when the snail is hungry because he will eat my live plants if I don't feed him. lol. >_> Since he won't eat tank algae I feed him a piece of an algae wafer and a few shrimp pellets a day, and supplement with a veggie (usually baby spinach/lettuce/cucumber) once a week. The betta also likes to pick at the wafer and shrimp pellets so I have to be careful not to overfeed him either.

A nerite snail might be a better fit for a 3g. I've never owned one so I don't know a whole lot about them, but size-wise they'd be more suitable than a mystery in a 3g. I don't think they're as helpful cleaning wise though.

What are you feeding your betta, if I could ask? I had a betta that did that because the pellets I fed him (the omega one betta buffet pellets) were too large for him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.