Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? yes, sponge filter
Does it have a heater? yes, set to around 79 F
What temperature is your tank? 75 I just did a water change
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? just a sponge filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? nerite snails

Food:
What food brand do you use? betta buffet pellets/bloodworms occasionally
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4-5ish pellets a day (usually skip a day after every two days)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? usually weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 30-40%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? sometiems i vacuum sometimes i just get the water out
What additives do you use? seachem prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <5ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): n/a
Alkalinity (KH): n/a

Symptoms and Treatment: One of his gills is flared out and will not go down. He also seems very bloated. Otherwise, he is acting fairly normal.
When did you first notice the symptoms? half an hour ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? bloated/one fin flared
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? hasn't really? except he was swimming into the glass when i went near and kept doing it for thirty seconds
Is your Betta still eating? i'm afraid to feed him seeing as he is so bloated right now, but I will try if needed.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no. I am about to set up a 2 gal quarantine for him though.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? I've owned him for a little over a year, he was pretty healthy when I bought him.

Things to know: I recently just got in the nerites (there are 7 in total. Yes I am aware that is a lot, but I try and keep up with the water changes). I quarantined them for a few days, but I quickly had to move them into the 10 gallon due to a plant fertilizing accident

Just yesterday I received some duckweed, which I put in his tank. I have suspicions that he's been eating it (considering the bloatedness)

Should I quarantine him and add some aquarium salt? Will that help him temporarily?? What do I do about the bloating? feed a frozen pea?
Here are some (crappy) pictures:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.