Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my pretty little veil tail is very amusing but, there a few things I need to ask about;

In Petco where Opay is from they have dividers so the fish can't see each other. I loved him into his 1.5 bowl and on the bottom are smooth shiny stones. He likes to go down and poke his nose on one of the clear ones and look at himself. Could this stress him out? If so new bedding ideas?

Opay has some light aqua/opaque (Hense the name Opay) colored scales. Is this ick or something ro is it normal for him? I have Bettamin should I put that in to help it if it is or should I just put it in to play it safe and make sure he didn't pick anything up a Petco?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
So my pretty little veil tail is very amusing but, there a few things I need to ask about;

In Petco where Opay is from they have dividers so the fish can't see each other. I loved him into his 1.5 bowl and on the bottom are smooth shiny stones. He likes to go down and poke his nose on one of the clear ones and look at himself. Could this stress him out? If so new bedding ideas?
I think he is curious at the glass marbles, you can try gravel but if he is not flaring, I think it is fine.

Is this ick or something ro is it normal for him? I have Bettamin should I put that in to help it if it is or should I just put it in to play it safe and make sure he didn't pick anything up a Petco?

I would not recommend Bettamin. I;d go for AQ salt first and then anti-biotics later.

Check the disease sticky for ick info.

Thanks guys!
This is the expanded version on diseases by the same poster of the disease sticky in this forum, Dark Moon with photos:
http://www.darkmoonbettas.com/DarkMoonBettas/Disease_%26_Treatment/Archive.html

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not ick -wipes forehead- I think it's just his coloring because the spots don't stick up like grains of salt. So do I still but the medicine you recommend to clear out any sicknesses developing from the pet store?

Also I want to upgrade him to pellets because he takes his flakes spits them out and them eats them again. Are they too big?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It's not ick -wipes forehead- I think it's just his coloring because the spots don't stick up like grains of salt. So do I still but the medicine you recommend to clear out any sicknesses developing from the pet store?

Also I want to upgrade him to pellets because he takes his flakes spits them out and them eats them again. Are they too big?
Before doing anything, did you check and find anything close to a symptom of a disease from the disease sticky?

If he is only going pale with horizontal grey bars on the body, it may mean he is stressed. If he has clamped fins, stay at the bottom, and lethargic, then he may be sick.

You need to also complete this so we can better help you. A photo would be nice.

Pellets are better, try NLS or Omega One. He might like NLS since it has garlic in it.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
One thing that will stand you in good stead: never medicate unless:
a) your betta is actually sick; and
b) you have the right medication for that specific illness
Over-medicating, or medicating when the fish is not sick, can be dangerous. In most cases, warm, clean water will do the job at keeping him healthy. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? Roughly 1.5 gallons maybe 2.
What temperature is your tank? 70-80 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Don't think so. He has a silk plant.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bettamin Tropical blend flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% Every week, skimming gunk off, and half water changes.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%, 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use his water cleaner. (I can find the name if you want)

Water Parameters: ?

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate:?
pH:?
Hardness:?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I got him very bright and colorful he still is and has opaque streaks in his tail and a little greyish scales on his head. (Topish)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's still active and goofy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Not 100% sure got him yesterday the same way.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Like I said got him yesterday.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Adult not entirely sure. Still kind of young maybe 1 max?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Housing
What size is your tank? Roughly 1.5 gallons maybe 2.
What temperature is your tank? 70-80 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Don't think so. He has a silk plant.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bettamin Tropical blend flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% Every week, skimming gunk off, and half water changes.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%, 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use his water cleaner. (I can find the name if you want)

Water Parameters: ?

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate:?
pH:?
Hardness:?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I got him very bright and colorful he still is and has opaque streaks in his tail and a little greyish scales on his head. (Topish)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's still active and goofy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Not 100% sure got him yesterday the same way.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Like I said got him yesterday.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Adult not entirely sure. Still kind of young maybe 1 max?
if it is 1.5g, then 50% every other day and 100% every week of WC is needed.

forget about the test kit, I htink the WC will take care of the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate build up.

just keep an eye on lethargy, clamped fins, weird coating on the body, stringy stuff on the body as if the body is fraying/shedding skin, bloating, difficulty in swimmming, color loss. These are some symptoms of diseases.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Everyone has given you good advice. Don't medicate unless he has a definite illness, frequent water changes (at least one 100% and one 50% per week) in your 1.5 gal tank, and try either New Life Spectrum (NLS) pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. I think the NLS pellets are smaller, if you're concerned about size. If you do those, and keep his water temp where it is now, that will go a LONG way towards keeping him healthy! :)

Can you post a picture showing the areas you're worried about? (The opaque streaks in his tail and greyish scales on his head.)

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Actually, on the subject of temperature - 10 degrees is a massive fluctuation, and 70 is way too cold. Try to keep it between 76 and 80 at the minimum.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Whoops. I thought the info form said that temp was 78-80F, but I see now that you've written 70-80.

Yes, as Bombalurina said, that's too much fluctuation, and 70 is definitely too cold. Personally, I try to keep my tanks at 78-80F.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
It sounds like he is currently in good health (a lot of people on here mistake a betta's natural colouration for diseases such as ich or velvet so you are not the first) and really the only thing that needs remedying now is the heater problem.

Keeping the water clean and at a stable temperature is really going to keep Opay healthy and stress free. People often don't realise how important having a consistent temperature is for fish, particularly in small volumes of water where the temperature can fluctuate quite rapidly. Like others have mentioned 70-80 degrees is much too big of a fluctuation in a 1.5-2 gallon tank and you definitely should purchase a new heater if yours is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually I'm starting to think it's a fungal infection I started a new thread titled; Confused! (Help!) I posted pictures and stats and I'm not sure if it is or not but its gotten larger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts