Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i looked in his tank today, i noticed an open wound in him. i’m not sure if it is a wound or if it’s a tumor of some sorts. i just moved him into a ten gallon tank 2 days ago from a 3.5 gallon. it has a sponge filter and a heater. the tank is also fully cycled. the tank is 80 degrees, it has aeration, and he has no tank mates. i feed him omega one pellets, and freezes dried bloodworms. i feed two to three pellets twice a day, and bloodworms every once in a while. i perform a 25% water change every week, and my water is coming from my sink. in his old tank i used to not use a siphon, but i’m going to start in this new tank. i use tetra aquasafe conditioner. i’m currently using test strips therefor the water parameters probably aren’t the most accurate.
ammonia: 0
nitrate: anywhere from 0-20
nitrite: 0
gh: it’s very hard. around 300 hundred.
kh: around 40
ph: 6.8
i first noticed these symptoms today. the only thing thats changed in his appearance is this wound. his behavior seems the same, he’s still eating, and i haven’t treated him. when he was in his old tank, he seemed to have some breathing problems. there were a couple days where all he would do was sit at the surface and breathe, he wouldn’t even eat, but over time he stopped. i assumed it was constipation. i’ve owned my betta since November 8th, and he was completely healthy when i purchased him.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,793 Posts
Is there anything in the tank he could have gotten caught on or sliced by? Like under the filter or on a piece of decor? You might want to check by running something that snags easily (like hose) over everything. If it's more than just a minor snag on the hose it may be enough to cause such a wound.

Please fill out the form. I realize you probably answered many of the questions. However, this gives us what we need in a quick glance so we don't have to parse text. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much. i’ll check that. i also filled out the form below
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? yes, sponge
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees fahrenheit
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes, from the filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no tank mates

Food:
What food brand do you use? omega one
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? occasionally freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2-3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? i’ve only vacuumed occasionally
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? tetra watersafe

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: anywhere from 0-20
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): pretty high, around 300
Alkalinity (KH): around 40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?just the wound
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? it really hasn’t
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no, i haven’t
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? he had been constipated before, but that’s it
How long have you owned your Betta? since November 8th
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? not that i know of

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
With it popping up that quick my best guess would be he's managed to snag himself on something in the tank. Do you have any sort of decorations, or driftwood in the tank?

As an example, I used some driftwood in one of my tanks for months and the betta in that tank never had a minutes problem with it. Since the wood was over large for the tank I eventually took it out and stored it. Months later I decided to use it in my larger tank, well the betta in that tank proceeded to try and squeeze into a hollow part of the wood, or try and get under the wood, no matter what I tried he figured out a way to hurt himself on it... Yep the wood is now out of the tank, and Hendrix the betta is finally not shredding his fins.

Adding some SeaChem StressGuard and Indian Almond leaves, or Roobios tea, will help him heal and prevent infection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts