Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a strong opinion re: aquarium lights? I have a 10gal, and the hood light that came with it has a sort of yellowish glow that makes Keller's (betta) tank appear cloudy. When I sample the water in a clear container it is not cloudy, so it's definitely the lighting-

I am considering just leaving it off (or buying blue bulbs). The tank is in a room that gets decent sunlight.

Is it ok to just rely on ambient lighting with a 10gal, or do you think that would be too dark?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I would say it would be too dark to see and your fish are supposed to have a well defined day and night routine. Everyone has different opinions on this but I think bulbs are best. Is it a flourescent tube or regular bulbs? I had to buy regular bulbs today 2 for a buck 92 and they work well I think they are tetra brand. Any pet store has a huge variety of bulb colors though so you it's hard to say. You have to do what is best.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Depends on whether or not you have live plants. If you don't have live plants you don't even need a light at all. The ambient light will be fine for your little guy. You still need a hood, tho. With live plants, I like to get bulbs in the 6500k range. Great for growing beautiful plants.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks! I think mine are regular bulbs, but i'd have to check. I'm not skilled enough to do live plants yet, mine are all silk.

I think I will go with buying some blue bulbs, as Keller does seem to be rather happy with his day/night schedule, he may get annoyed without his artificial sunrise every morning:)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Ha Ha, a fish that knows his schedule. I want to venture into live plants soon but I'm a chicken. I am always afraid I will screw them up and I like the bright colors in the silk plants.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Ha Ha, a fish that knows his schedule. I want to venture into live plants soon but I'm a chicken. I am always afraid I will screw them up and I like the bright colors in the silk plants.
Live plants really aren't that hard if you have the right light. I have some that I can't even kill if I try. One of these days I'll venture into more delicate plants, but for right now I have the plants as a biological filter. Anubias is a good plant that you literally have to try to kill. Hornwort is another really tough one. My mother has some in a fish tank in her classroom that has no lights except the overhead room lights. It's thriving.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
hmm maybe I'll take a real plant adventure soon and see what I can do! Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know... Maybe I'll take the real plant plunge-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts