Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, you've been bit by the betta bug, but you're on a budget. What're you to do? There are so many tanks out there, and personally I can't decide which is better.

Do I go for the sleek, acrylic, lightweight tank kits with light hoods that have filters I would probably replace, that tend to easily scratch or get clouded, but are generally usually cheap, if I do my homework?

Or do I go for the standard glass tank: bulky, heavy, breakable, visible seams, but less likely to scratch or cloud up, generally cheap, and get the filter and hood seperate and specifically fit for that tank, without wasting the money on a kit filter?

What's your opinion? Is the traditional glass the way to go? Or is acrylic the better choice?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I own both types. I prefer the acrylics if I'm setting up a small tank and glass if they are 10gal or larger.
Of course, I wouldn't choose to buy a large acrylic tank for 3 or 4 times the price it would cost me the same size tank in glass.

Right now I'm thinking of getting another 5 galon and I'm debating if to go glass or acrylic because the tanks I'm considering are almost the same price. I would replace the filter no matter which but one of them has the lightbulb I like.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "acrylic". Are you talking about the thin cheap plastic tank kits like you get at Walmart or on the betta isle at Petco or are you talking about the real acrylic tanks like the Aqueon Evolve?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose either/or. I'm just asking general opinions. If you'd go acrylic, but only if it was high-quality, that's an opinion.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have both but I agree with vilmarisv. If it's a small tank its easier to set up the acryllic but in my opinion, anything 5 gallons or more I would get glass. I would like to replace my plastic with glass tanks soon though because I hate the scratches. They scratch as easy as a D.V.D.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This kind of acrylic is what I mean when I say cheap acrylic

This is good acrylic:

Personally, I have tried acrylic and I always scratch it. The last one I had was this:

I had to be very careful with it. All in all, due to the lenght and the fact that it comes with a heater, it was probably the best betta tank I have ever had.
I did get rid of it though, even being careful I got a couple of scratches and then decided to replace it with glass. Now I only have glass tanks. Everything from my 2 gallon Spec to my 150 gallon cichlid tank is now glass.

I actually just got a new tank in the mail today. :)
3.4 gallon glass with curved corners.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I have the marineland 5g hex, and the filter that came with it is fine. You don't always have to replace the filters that come in kits, they work fine in most cases. Mine was easy to baffle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts