Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
How big is the tank? What kind of filter?

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
I would agree with that stocking provided the tank was at least 10 gallons in size, and cycled prior to adding this many livestock. For the shrimp and snail it would probably have to be established for a couple of months to provide adequate algae/biofilm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention!! I've had my tank for a while, so I can't really remember how big it is exactly. It looks like a 10 gallon, but when I measure my dimensions it appears I have an 8.7 gallon tank which doesn't seem right. My filter is a topfin power ten which is a hang on filter. Currently, my tank is nearing the end of cycling and I'm in the process of aquascaping it. I hope that's the right terminology haha. Should I cultivate some Algea to introduce to the tank before I get shrimp and a snail?? I'd like to add the smaller guys before I add a betta. Maybe I should downsize the shrimp count as well??

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I haven't seen many happy endings with a betta and shrimp in the same tank...your betta may end up downsizing your shrimp count whether you want him to or not. You can try it, but just be prepared for the unexpected. If you do decide to go with shrimp, make sure you have lots of hides for the shrimp that are too small for your betta to get into.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
What about those poor neons? I really think they belong in a larger tank, 20 long minimum. You should also have a shoal of at least 8. Their temperature requirements are a little different than a bettas. They do better at the 75-77° range. Neons are actually a somewhat delicate fish at should only be put in an established tank.

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Maybe something like Boraras brigittae, or a similar sized species. However, they are very tiny and may be harassed or attacked by your betta male depending on his temperament.

They are also very sensitive and would require very stable parameters.

Remember if your tank is truly 8.7 gallons, it will be even less once you factor in the displacement caused by substrate, equipment, decorations etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't put minnows in. They prefer cooler water to bettas and to keep them in the warm conditions bettas like would be unfair. Snails are good - I have my betta in a 5.5g with 2 snails and there is no aggression. Tetras are shiney so a betta may see them as another betta and attack. How about a few cories? My betta has a group of cories in the tank next to him and he shows no aggression. If your tank is 10 gallons you could probably pull off a few cories and a snail.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Can't you swap out for a sand substrate?

You'd need 6+ cories, look into some Corydoras hastatus. They're what's considered as dwarf cories and don't get longer than an inch. Anything that's not categorised as a dwarf cory would be a no-no for an 8 gallon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could I suppose, I believe sand would look so much prettier. I'm right in the midst of cycling now though :shock:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmm, interesting idea!! Do plants have a more difficult time growing in sand versus gravel?? I'm new to live aquascape, and I'm loving the authenticity and benefits of live plants.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Personally I love sand and hate gravel when it comes to plants haha. I found I didn't have as much problem with plants not staying in the sand as I thought I would. Only ones that gave me problems were ones without any roots yet (trimmings). I have another tank with two sizes of gravel (medium and large) and it is literally a huge pain in the butt. My 3rd tank is a sand capped soil tank and some of the plants are so well rooted they can't be moved.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Agreed. It's much easier to plant in sand, and your plants don't know the difference. I think it's easier for them to develop roots in the sand also.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have sand in all of my tanks (1.5g, 3g, 10g, and 29g) and my plants thrive in it. I like it better than gravel because all the crap can't fall in between sand like it can gravel, so it's easier to clean, imo.

I agree with the neons. They are a very delicate fish and should only be added to a completely established tank and not before or they'll die off. They should also be in groups bigger than what you have planned. I'd start with 9 minimum and go up from there.

What site are you using to calculate everything? Have you gone to AqAdvisor? When you list all your hopeful tank residents, it will tell you what they need ph, temp, hardiness, and size wise. It's really helpful. It doesn't take plants into consideration for filtration though, but it's a good resource.

All of these fish are going to depend on your betta's personality and temperament. He may not do well with any tank mates or he may do great. At the very least, you should be prepared to move any or all of his tank mates if you notice him harassing them.

Pygmy Cory are another option that only get an inch long as well, but same as above, they need more than a few friends of the same species.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
are there any good little fish that you'd reccomend?? Minnows perhaps??[/QUOTE]

How about a small school of CPDs? I have them in several tanks with bettas. They are tiny at maturation and very coloful. Also quite hardy. Google photos of Celestial Pearl Danios and you can see how gorgeous they are. They are fairly hard to find in lfs, I got mine on Aquabid.

I added a link with some vids:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts