Betta Fish Forum banner

Which member of the Osphronemidae family do you like the best?

• Blue Gourami

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Gold Gourami

• Opaline Gourami

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pearl Gourami

• Snakeskin Gourami

• Honey Gourami

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Dwarf Gourami (All types)

• Sparkling Gourami

• Chocolate Gourami

• Giant Gourami

• Moonlight Gourami

• Pygmy Gourami

• Paradise Fish

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Betta albimarginata

• Betta Raja.

• Kissing Gourami

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Thick- Lipped Gourami

• Frail Gourami

• Betta falx

• Betta channoides

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Part 3 to the fish battle series! Which relative to our beloved Betta do you think is the best/most beautiful/ most peaceful/ most compatible? I did not include Betta Splendens in this test because if I did there would be no test (Betta Splendens would win hands down). :-D So vote, and please back the vote with your opinion!

Note: This will not include all members of the Osphronemidae family, just the more popular ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I chose paradise fish! I have kept many and while they are not the most peaceful they win with me for their beauty and ease of care. Some gourami (dwarf, pearl) can be too delicate and the kissing gourami gets to big. Giant gourami should not even be sold to the average aquarist and gold and blue gourami can be untrustworthy in the community tanks they are often recommended for.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree tankman12 Pearls are beautiful! Oddly enough mine is pretty aggressive. Kissing Gouramis are not nearly as aggressive as people say they are too. Honey Gouramis by far, are one of the most peaceful Gouramis I've ever had, but like all gouramis their personality can change on a dime. I love the Paradise Fish (Gourami) so much! They are one of the most predictable Gouramis, which makes them good candidates for a community tank, and other similar sized fish of the same temperament! :-D

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The only problem with kissers is they get BIG so they may eat fish. I dont think they are very aggressive though. Your pearl is aggressive?!?! That is some what strange (i believe you 100%, and im not trying to make you wrong or anything like that).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I agree. I think Kissing Gouramis are like Whales, huge,misunderstood and somewhat, aquatic cows! Also my Pearl is very aggressive towards my other fish! I actually took a few fish out because of her! It was very odd, the first few days she was very timid and shy, but after awhile she became violent and harassed my Veil tail Liam, and then my King, Scott! I took both of them out of the community tank because they weren't happy with the high amount of filtration, and other fish I had in there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I LOVE my Powdered Blue Dwarf Gouramis, they are part of the centerfish piece (if you will) to my bow front tank and their attitude and how curious they are towards every little change that happens make me laugh all of the time.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have 3 red flame dwarf gouramis in my community tank, and they are great. They're bright orange/gold, red, and blue and are very peaceful. I intended to get 2 females and a male, but they were very young when I got them and I ended up with 2 males and a female. However, they have never had any issues or aggression among them or with the other fish. The female is BY FAR the largest of the 3, so I think that helps her not get intimidated by the males. They are lovely, interactive fish.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I voted kisser cause wild types are beautiful.
But my favourites are the frail (noble) gourami.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.