Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 677 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A place to share your non betta fish photos :)

My school of red eyed tetras, I love these guys and wish I had room for more of them.

My huge female scissor tail, she's between 3" and 4". The male is in the background, He's only slightly shorter and way slimmer.

My blue(3 spot) Gourami, he's around 4"

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
I love your scissortail, Copper. :)

My two koi and comet goldfish. Top: Tanko Left: Saiyo the goldfish Right: Koichiro

One of my gold dojo loaches, Bopper.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Awww, your dojo loach makes me miss mine, Sakura. He outgrew my tanks so I had to give him away.

Here are my other fish. The goldfish Goldeen and Seaking, and my koi. The picture of my goldfish is from about 2 weeks ago and the photo of the koi was from April. I should get some updated pictures of them, but it's just been so bloody hot.

By the end of the year, I'll hopefully have my community tank fully planted and stocked.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
@thekoimaiden
I like your koi pond!!
I seems to have a lot,but i just deleted them :-(
I have 16 species of fish now.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love your scissortail, Copper. :)

My two koi and comet goldfish. Top: Tanko Left: Saiyo the goldfish Right: Koichiro

One of my gold dojo loaches, Bopper.
Awww you dojo is so cute! And I love your koi. At work we have a pure white(like a dragon betta but not metallic) with a small silver path on it's head. Whenever I see beutiful koi like that I really wish I had a big koi pond XD

And I'm glad you like the scissor tail, they are awesome. When they first went in my tank all my fish coward in complete fear at the bottom, it took them a week to realize the scissor tails are super docile and wouldn't hurt them and now they are happy and don't think twice about them(the red eyes sometimes try schooling with them, but fail at it)

Here's two more pics of them because I love them. The black and white image is the female and the color is the male.

thekoimaiden Awww, your dojo loach makes me miss mine, Sakura. He outgrew my tanks so I had to give him away.

Here are my other fish. The goldfish Goldeen and Seaking, and my koi. The picture of my goldfish is from about 2 weeks ago and the photo of the koi was from April. I should get some updated pictures of them, but it's just been so bloody hot.

By the end of the year, I'll hopefully have my community tank fully planted and stocked.
I love your Koi pond, how many gallons is it?

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Izzy, how big did your dojo get? I've had my two since March and they're maybe 5-6" long right now in a 29gal. I've heard they can get pretty big but while mine are growing, they aren't growing very fast.

Copper, do you think your scissortails will ever spawn?

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Awww, your dojo loach makes me miss mine, Sakura. He outgrew my tanks so I had to give him away.

Do you like Pokemon? It's because of your Goldfishs' Names...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Izzy, how big did your dojo get? I've had my two since March and they're maybe 5-6" long right now in a 29gal. I've heard they can get pretty big but while mine are growing, they aren't growing very fast.

Copper, do you think your scissortails will ever spawn?
It's possible but the eggs wouldn't survive since both the parents will eat the eggs and all my other fish would too. I could set them up in a spawning tank(20g long) but I'm not interested in breeding them.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
None of my fish in my community tank ever breed, as far as I can tell. T_T The only fish that ever breed are the guppies and I had to segregate them so they'd stop.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Aww the red eyes tetras are so cute c:

Thanks a lot *sigh* xD

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Thanks Fabian and copperarabian! My pond is about 4000 US gallons. We've never had it measured, but that was the estimate of the man who installed it. I've attached another picture of the entire pond system. The waterfall is about 3 feet tall.

Mine got about 10 inches long in the 29 gal before I realized that I needed to find them a larger home. They certainly didn't grow very fast, but they did grow pretty large. I've heard they can get as large as 12 inches.

Do you like Pokemon? It's because of your Goldfishs' Names...
:lol: Caught me there! I'm a big pokemon fan. My newest goldfish is named Magikarp :p

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Aww the red eyes tetras are so cute c:
I don't like red eye tetras,they keep chasing each other.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't like red eye tetras,they keep chasing each other.
They have a pecking order and often chase and nip one another, if you have a proper school it's a natural thing for them to do. If the school isn't big enough they sometimes will start chasing other fish and nipping them. I don't mind them chasing each other, I never see any torn fins and it makes them interesting to watch for me.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
He's beautiful, LBF. :)

Izzy, do you think the 29gal is too small? It might be a year before I can get a bigger thank, will they be okay until then?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
He's a beauty, LBF. I really do think that the killies don't get enough attention. Some of them rival marine fish in their colors.

Sakura, I did have my big guys in a 29 gal for about a year before I came to grips with the fact that I needed to upgrade them. I had one with a band of black across his eyes; he was so cute. With regular water changes, it's not the end of the world, but they will be bouncing off the sides. I know mine did.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
They already do, when I reach in. I can hear the gravel clinking as they careen all over. Sigh. I've heard so many conflicting things about tank sizes for dojos. 20gal is okay, no it must be no smaller than a 50gal, no it must be 100gal . . .

I hate to give them up, I love them but I'm also worried about them. They're in the garage and in the winter it was great, the water stayed just right in the mid 60's. But now that it's summer, the water is almost 80. :( A few weeks ago when the temp was 108, they got up to 82. Much too warm for them.

Need two more 55gals . . .

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Ya. There do seem to be a lot of conflicting opinions out there about them. That's why I'm glad I found a smaller, tropical alternative: kuhli loaches! ^-^ They look just like dojos but are like 1/5 the size.

Here's a strange thought: how would you feel about having them in with the koi? They can actually be a pond fish in certain areas. They are actually illegal in some states because they can survive in the local waterways.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
If the koi don't mind, I wouldn't mind. I might wait until they're just a tad bigger but that's a thought. Right now, they seem more or less content in the 29gal, as long as I don't spook them with water changes. Then they go bouncing all over. Most of the time, they drape themselves in the plants. They look like they got stranded there after the tide went out, haha. Thanks, Izzy. :)

EDIT:
Kuhli loaches!!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yay! I think we found a solution that doesn't involve you buying another tank or giving them away. I remember my dojos loved to drape themselves over the plants. The java fern was their favorite.

Aren't they adorable? I want to have a tank stuffed full of those little guys (lol and I will when I can find a local supplier). If there was ever a fish I would want to breed; it's those guys. Have you seen pictures of the babies?

Also this picture is just too cute not to add:

1 - 20 of 677 Posts