Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a male betta and I just got a ten gallon tank for Christmas so I'm gonna transfer him into the larger tank so he'll be happy. But I want a few other critters because he seems lonely a lot of the time and because I feel like it. I know I want to add an African dwarf frog because I heard those do well but I'm not sure what else to include? What are other bottom feeders that might do well with a betta and a frog? I only want one or two. My betta isn't aggressive at all and likes to hide most of the time, so I don't think he'll be super aggressive towards any other fish. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
But I want a few other critters because he seems lonely a lot
Bettas are solitary fish and do not get lonely.

Some Bettas are fine with tank mates some are not, It depends on the Betta, When adding tank mates to a Bettas tank, and make no mistake here it is the Bettas tank, it is the Betta that decides who lives or dies in the tank, not the fish keeper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh. Okay. I'm thinking about one or two frogs and maybe some ghost shrimp. What are the best types of fish to put in? I've heard cories are good, but what kind?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
+1 Nick If you want to assure their quality of life you will get at least three; any fewer and they are compromised. People do it but it doesn't make it right. I have six ADF in my 10 gallon with Guthrie and some dwarf Cory. But there, again, the number matters as Cory are shoaling fish which means a minimum of six to assure long-term health. You can have six Habrosus, Pygmy or Hastus Cory along with three ADF and your Betta in a 10.

Having bottom feeders doesn't mean fewer water changes; you will still need to do at least 25% with substrate vacuuming once per week. You can't have decor that has a closed top. ADF are fun but they are air breathers and can drown if caught. And you need lots and lots of live plants. And I mean *lots*.

Most important, you need a backup plan should your Betta take exception to having tank mates. As Nick said, "loneliness" is our perception; not the Betta's. While I prefer Betta-based community tanks I realize they can live quite happily alone, too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally, my betta is probably the least aggressive betta there ever was. Or near to it. Then again, I won't really know until I try. I'm keeping my current 3.5 gallon and I'm gonna buy a 1 gallon bowl just in case things go wrong and I need to move fish around. I already know for sure that I'm getting a few ADF's but now I've just got to decide which cories (and maybe a snail) to put in. 6 seems to be the amount that's suitable, which is cool with me. I have all fake plants so I may need to buy a few live ones and I think I'm going to change my river rocks for sand, so the frogs don't get stuck.

Reactions: BettaBeau

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I've decided what I'm going to do. I have my one male betta and I'll buy 3 ADF's and 6 cories of some kind. Is there anything else I'd need to buy to accommodate these breeds? Any special food or care items?

I'm hesitant to buy them today because my betta has suddenly lost a few parts of his fins and I'm not sure why. It's probably not a good idea to put him in with other animals, right?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I think I've decided what I'm going to do. I have my one male betta and I'll buy 3 ADF's and 6 cories of some kind. Is there anything else I'd need to buy to accommodate these breeds? Any special food or care items?

I'm hesitant to buy them today because my betta has suddenly lost a few parts of his fins and I'm not sure why. It's probably not a good idea to put him in with other animals, right?
It would be best for him to be optimum health before you add tank mates. I'd give him a couple of months in the new tank and make sure it's cycled before adding more residents.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently got 2 Juli Cories. They are small, only 2in, and super cute. You could put 6-7 of in a 10 G. See my thread Juli Cories foe pics. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.