Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everybody, I've got a stressed/ sick male betta for weeks now and I am out of ideas on how to help him. Currently has major clamped fins, losing color, lethargic, and hangs out near the top of the tall all day not moving. If he does move it's in frantic, sporadic dashes for a short time. I fear the end is near, but I'd still like to save him if I can. It may be ammonia, but I do regular water changes. I'm also treating with an All- in- one remedy at the moment (again). Just did a 50% change Sunday night before beginning treatment again. He was fine for a few weeks when we got him, and then my fish sitter skipped a water change. First round of medication showed improvement, but now back to this. Currently no sign of illness that I can see (gold dust, ich spots, terrible fin rot, pop-eye, SBD, etc), but I am trying another round of all in one just in case. He just seems super stressed to the point of sickness/death

Current setup:
3 gallon, Filtered, Heated,
Put in a live anubias nana last week
Not in direct light
Eats flakes because spits out pellets, twice a day. Currently fasting for 1 day
Prime water conditioner
Current ph is 7.5ish? Tested water sample at petco and they said everything was perfect, whereas when I brought the sample in on Sunday they said ammonia was a bit high

Tried methods:
A few rounds of all in one
Bettafix
Leaving everything alone, except for water change
Taking the filter out.
Cleaning the rubber components, as a bit of brown algae (I think? ) formed on them at one point. when I cleaned the rubber components, I tried to vacuum the gravel to get any flakes out. There are still some there, but I try to suck out as many as I can while they are disturbed during water changes.

Currently at no filter, medication for 3 more days then planning a water change as per directions. Put a drop of prime in there tonight to see if that does anything. I did pick up supplemental bacteria and AQ salt on my lunch today, but I haven't used it yet. Contemplating on mixing the salt into my water jug and "topping" off the water later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first fish and I'd really like to save him!

·
Registered
277 Posts
As a general rule, it's not advised to use medications unless you know for certain what you are trying to treat.

You need to test your parameters. If it tested positive for ammonia, are you keeping it locked by adding prime EVERY day?

Even though you've already provided a lot of this information, please fill out this form so that forum members can attempt to pinpoint your betta's illness.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to test your parameters. If it tested positive for ammonia, are you keeping it locked by adding prime EVERY day?
-As of now, no. I only added 1 drop last night to see if it would help with ammonia. Should I be adding 1 drop in every night for the time being?

Even though you've already provided a lot of this information, please fill out this form so that forum members can attempt to pinpoint your betta's illness.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What temperature is your tank?
roughly 80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
It is in there, but not on. It seemed to stress my betta when he was healthy
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
A new Anubias Nana

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Bettamin I think it's called
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
pellets, spits out pellets 80% of the time
Freeze-dried?
occasional frozen bloodworm. Usually spits out
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
normally twice a day, just a small pinch. Still easts aggressively. I know that excess flakes cause ammonia spikes. Currently fasted for 1 day, will probably feed this evening

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
every 5 days
What percentage of water did you change?
30-50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
I would pour some of the water back in as I was removing it. this way the pellet flakes would get disturbed and float around. I continue to dip out, catching as many of the flakes as I can. Any that I don't get with the cup I suction up with a straw/baster
What additives do you use?
Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.
I cannot provide exact numbers at the moment. I'll try and get them retested after work

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:7.5ish
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms?
A month ago

How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Losing color. Extremely clamped dorsal fin. Looks like a club, may be deteriorating but I can't tell. Noticed gold dust at one point, treated with medicine. Gold dust no longer an issue.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
lethargic, hangs out at top of tank, or darts around frantically for a short time.

Is your Betta still eating?
Yes, rather aggressively. Bites at the water surface hard

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Marineland All-In-One, currently on day 2 of 5. Have started trying to put a drop of Prime in to combat ammonia if present.
This is second cycle of treatment. Used prior because velvet seemed clear, took a week off so as not to overload on chemicals.
Have tried Bettafix as well.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Well I got him in April, he was fine until early June. Sick since then, so I suppose he has a history?

How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
Since Mid-April, no illness or damage. picked because looked healthy even though it was the runt

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS
Later

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
277 Posts
in a 3 gallon tank, you should be adding 6 drops of prime every day. This will keep up to 1.0ppm of ammonia locked and harmless until you can get rid of it.

Invest in an API freshwater testing kit. Knowing your parameters and how to control them is the single biggest step you can take toward keeping a betta healthy. If the entire kit is not an option (as it can be tricky to find in stores and pricey) at least grab a liquid ammonia test.

The presence of any ammonia at all means there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

I would also strongly encourage you to get a gravel vaccuum and use it to clean as much gravel as you can. If you're leaving flakes in the tank to rot, you shouldn't be.

There's also the flakes to consider: pellets are considered healthier and I believe flakes can cause bloating and constipation. Freeze-dried bloodworms can as well.

Right now, I suspect ammonia poisoning or constipation is to blame. 6 drops of prime daily and vacuuming the gravel should help curb it if it's ammonia poisoning (as well as regular water changes).

If you post pictures we will be able to see if he is bloating at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in a 3 gallon tank, you should be adding 6 drops of prime every day. This will keep up to 1.0ppm of ammonia locked and harmless until you can get rid of it.

Invest in an API freshwater testing kit. Knowing your parameters and how to control them is the single biggest step you can take toward keeping a betta healthy. If the entire kit is not an option (as it can be tricky to find in stores and pricey) at least grab a liquid ammonia test.

The presence of any ammonia at all means there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

I would also strongly encourage you to get a gravel vaccuum and use it to clean as much gravel as you can. If you're leaving flakes in the tank to rot, you shouldn't be.

There's also the flakes to consider: pellets are considered healthier and I believe flakes can cause bloating and constipation. Freeze-dried bloodworms can as well.

Right now, I suspect ammonia poisoning or constipation is to blame. 6 drops of prime daily and vacuuming the gravel should help curb it if it's ammonia poisoning (as well as regular water changes).

If you post pictures we will be able to see if he is bloating at all.
Thanks for the quick reply, I definitely appreciate it.
Is 6 drops too much? I think the back of the bottle recommends 5mL per 50 gallons, which breaks down to .04 mL for say 2 gallons of water. From my understanding it's pretty potent stuff, and seeing as I don't have a way of measuring that I've just been putting about 5 drops in the gallon refill jug for water changes. Is that too little? Is there a downside to increasing that?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The proper dose for prime is 2 drops per gallon. In a 3 gallon tank, that's 6 drops.

You could even use more. In an emergency situation double-doses of Prime are often used to keep ammonia harmless until the problem can be rooted out.

It's very, very difficult to use too much prime. It's potent in what it does, but it's very safe to have in the water.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
It's pretty hard to overdose prime. All it does is get rid of chemicals & lock up ammonia.

I had a 4-year-old dump half of a bottle in my tank, and my betta was no worse off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's pretty hard to overdose prime. All it does is get rid of chemicals & lock up ammonia.

I had a 4-year-old dump half of a bottle in my tank, and my betta was no worse off.

Ah the joy of children! But alright, I guess i'll have to give that a shot tonight when I get home. Do you recommend using either the supplemental bacteria or a bit of the AQ salt?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
For Prime the dose is 2 drops per gallon. Dose new water before you pour it in the tank and, if you have ammonia present, dose the entire tank daily while you work on cycling your tank and maintaining the ammonia at 0.

I second the gravel vac and of course the test kit.

It would be in your betta's best interest to ditch the flakes. Get a high quality pellet like Omega One or New Life Spectrum. Frozen bloodworms are much healthier than freeze dried, but if for whatever reason you want to continue feeding freeze dried you should soak them in tank water for 10 minutes before feeding. Any food that falls to the bottom of the tank should be immediately removed with a turkey baster.

·
Super Moderator
19,199 Posts
Please embed a photo. Click on "Go Advanced" and then click either the paper clip or "Manage Attachments."

Also, you CAN overdose Prime. According to Seachem up to 5x the recommended amount is "safe." Anything more is not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For Prime the dose is 2 drops per gallon. Dose new water before you pour it in the tank and, if you have ammonia present, dose the entire tank daily while you work on cycling your tank and maintaining the ammonia at 0.

I second the gravel vac and of course the test kit.

It would be in your betta's best interest to ditch the flakes. Get a high quality pellet like Omega One or New Life Spectrum. Frozen bloodworms are much healthier than freeze dried, but if for whatever reason you want to continue feeding freeze dried you should soak them in tank water for 10 minutes before feeding. Any food that falls to the bottom of the tank should be immediately removed with a turkey baster.
Thanks for the input! What would your recommended daily dose be to put directly into the tank while cycling? Something higher perhaps? I definitely apply it to the new water prior to putting it in the tank.

Also, would you recommend the bacteria supplement or the AQ salt or should I be returning those?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please embed a photo. Click on "Go Advanced" and then click either the paper clip or "Manage Attachments."

Also, CAN overdose Prime. According to Seachem up to 5x the recommended amount is "safe." Anything more is not.

i'll be sure to when I get home, probably around 7 or so. Thank you for offering your help!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for the input! What would your recommended daily dose be to put directly into the tank while cycling? Something higher perhaps? I definitely apply it to the new water prior to putting it in the tank.

Also, would you recommend the bacteria supplement or the AQ salt or should I be returning those?
As has already been stated several times, the dose is two drops per gallon, per day, and hold off on any medication until you know for certain what is wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As has already been stated several times, the dose is two drops per gallon, per day, and hold off on any medication until you know for certain what is wrong.

My apologies, I misread your original comment stating 6. I understand now and will stop the meds and apply as directed when I get home!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You can use the bacteria if you want. It may help speed up the cycle, it may not. Regardless of whether you use it or not you still have to check your parameters daily and dose Prime while cycling. I wouldn't use the AQ salt yet because we haven't figured out what's wrong, but definitely don't return it. It's a great thing to have on hand.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Do a 50% water change asap to get the ammonia down to .5. Don't forget to use Prime. Do another 50% as soon as you can to get it down to 0.

Do you know what your nitrites are?

·
Registered
277 Posts
1.0 is a huge amount of ammonia.

I advise you to do a 50% water change immediately. Add 6 drops of prime before adding the new water. Make sure the temperatures are within 2 degrees of each other.

Check ammonia again tomorrow. It's it's still above .25 do another 50% water change with prime. Repeat this daily until ammonia is under .25.

As long as it's between 0 and 0.25, treat with prime daily until it's 0.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nitrites were 4.0

I guess no need for the meds. Think adding supplemental bacteria would help get it down?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts