Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got John Doe yesterday afternoon and fed him two pellets at night before I went to bed.
Today I woke up, ate, then went to feed John Doe. After feeding him two pellets I left him alone for a bit before coming back around lunch time and giving him a bloodworm from this
http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5171038_main_t300x300.jpg and played with him (tried to get him to follow my finger) for about five minuets before just watching him swim around for five more minuets before I left.
Then just now I went up to give him dinner and saw my brother feeding him, and asked him how much he fed Johnny. This is an exact quote. "Um, about five or six of these pellets and one of each of these bugs. He goes after them like crazy, did you feed him at all sense you got him?"
I then told him (In a kinda angry voice cause I don't like my brother at all :s) That I've fed him last night and today and that he overfed John Doe and that he might get sick in die."
I may of overacted a bit but I was stressed, I only planned on feeding him two pellets in the morning, two pellets at night, and one treat every other day.
Will he be okay? Should I not feed him tomorrow? I don't know what to do :-( John Doe doesn't appear bloated at all and is acting normally.
I'm not sure if I should fill this sheet out for overfeeding but I will, just in case.

Housing
What size is your tank? A 3 gallon halfmoon tank, but with the decor it holds a bit more than 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? If you mean a bubbler it did come with one, but I only used it for about five minuets till I realized it stressed John Doe out.
Is your tank heated? Yes, I keep it at 78-80
What tank mates does your Betta fish live with? He's alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your Betta fish? Aqueon Betta food. Then as a treat I give him a Zoo Med dial a treat every other day
How often do you feed your Betta fish? 2 times in the morning and 2 times at night and a treat every other day. However my brother fed him five to six pellets and one of each treat from the dial a treat.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I havent cleaned it yet because I haven't even had the tank for two full days yet. But I planned on doing a 25% water change every two days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Water Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Don't have a tester. I forgot to get one at the petstore :s

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not at all, he doesn't seem bloated or anything, but I'll check on him after I post this.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's swimming around normally, hasn't done anything out of the norm.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Well there are no symptoms...
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't treated him
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I got him yesterday and he hasn't been sick at all. But I don't know if he was sick ever in his life before I got him.
How old is your fish? I don't know. He was the biggest of all the fish at the store so I think at least a year or so.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Ok, don't worry, he won't die, he might not feel like himself for a little, the freeze dried stuff isn't that good for him (think I remember your mother doesn't want frozen stuff in her freezer).

He's new and at least eating, but considering the amount of freeze dried foods he's had, I'd fast him tomorrow, then I'd get a weekly pill holder, put a small amount of food in each of the slots and only leave that out. You're not going to be able to entirely stop your brother from feeding him for a little bit, best control what he's gets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I may of overreacted with the dying part... Just a little.
You remember right about her not liking frozen worms, I guess I can understand why. Even though they are contained the thought of frozen worms next to her food doesn't please her, wonder why :p
I'll get a organized food schedule set up in plain sight and then try to get a pill holder or something like it to put his food in.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I would feed your fish either once a day (5-6 pellets) or twice a day (2-3 pellets at each feeding). You should not feed your fish 3 times a day.

If you are going to offer him treats it should ONLY been once a week. Do not feed him freeze dried foods because those will cause bloating and constipation. Frozen bloodworms are a good choice for treats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.