Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My betta for the past week has been pacing along the front side of his tank non-stop. From the time he wakes up, he paces until the time he goes to sleep.
The only times I can feed him is right when he wakes up or sometimes when he surfaces but he seems very distracted by this pacing behavior or whatever is causing it and I'm struggling to get the correct amount of food in him.
I am having a diatom/brown algae bloom right now which is expected since it's a new tank, so my nitrates need constant monitoring. I'm getting some more plants to put in the tank to help with that problem and cleaning tank decor every day.
The only things I could think of that may have caused this is the lack of hiding places which happened because his silk plant kicked the bucket and I had to order some new tall plants to add to the tank which are in the mail or possibly the nitrates? Maybe he's seeing his reflection?

He's normally a VERY calm fish; a gentle giant (he's a Giant/King betta) and very responsive to me approaching the tank, but he seems totally distracted; even obsessed with pacing.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5 Gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 Degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 1 Mystery Snail

He also has live plants: Christmas moss, Java fern, and another plant my mother gave me that I don't know the name of. I'm in the process of adding more tall plants since I took out his silk plant.

Food:
What food brand do you use? TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets and the occasional blood worm piece
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Occasionally he gets a piece of freeze-dried blood worm
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Normally, 2ce a day, 4 pellets each time (he's not overweight, don't worry)
Maintenance: Siphoning the bottom and a 25% water change each week along with adding new water throughout the week to attend to evaporation. But recently my nitrates have been high and I've been needing to change the water more frequently, but keeping it under control.
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of water did you change? 25% roughly
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? I use AquaSafe Plus

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.
Ammonia: N/A (my test strips didn't come with ammonia which is annoying)
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20-40 (even though I just changed the water last night)
pH:6.5
Hardness (GH): 0-30 (it's in between)
Alkalinity (KH):0

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about a week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? None
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He's normally very calm and now he's almost neurotic. He also has stopped responding to me approaching the tank or offering him food.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? More frequent water changes, turning off the light earlier/more often.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? When I first got him, his scales were coming off, but that resolved itself on its own and he's been healthy ever since.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? I've had him for a little over a month and I bought him from Petco (I know I shouldn't buy from them) he wasn't moving much and his scales were just flaking off and he was pale as all hell.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Test your tap water for nitrate. Nitrate will rise if your gravel vac's aren't keeping up with the waste.

Whatever you put in your tank will stay in the tank unless you remove it. That means, all the food you are putting in the tank is also waste that you have to remove again.

Do you have a bare bottom tank? Gravel substrate? If you have substrate you need to stick that gravel vac deep into the gravel, to get any uneaten food and waste that may have sunk deep into the gravel.

What could help bring those nitrates down is live plants. Hornwart, Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubia are great plants for low level lighting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have live plants and I have tested my tap water.
I'm vacuuming out the gravel very well too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts