Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my betta in a new tank today after acclimatizing him. He kinda just checked everything out at first, then later in the day whenever I was in the room he'd be pacing the very front of the tank non-stop. I don't think he could be bored since he only just moved there and he's got lots to look at. It's a 5 gallon tank, much bigger than his last or anything he's been in previously. Could it be that he's just swimming lots cause he's enjoying the extra space? He'll still kinda swim around to the other places in the tank but he didn't have this particular behaviour before. Just curious what everyone thinks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My new betta boy was doing this earlier, too! He was just put in today as well. I think I figured out why because I fixed what I think he was fixating on and he hasn't done it since, but I'm still curious to see what others say.
I thought maybe my Betta had been looking at something on my desk outside the tank too. I kept the food next to his old tank as well as the new one. He never did it before in his old one but I moved it anyway and a few other things around to see if he'd stop but he still hasn't

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I thought maybe my Betta had been looking at something on my desk outside the tank too. I kept the food next to his old tank as well as the new one. He never did it before in his old one but I moved it anyway and a few other things around to see if he'd stop but he still hasn't
Try setting a DVD case or something up against the glass. The new addition might keep him entertained. I did that with Mace before realizing what was actually going on, and it worked.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
This is called glass surfing.

it is very common with new bettas. Just give him a week or so to calm down.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Oh my, yes! i had one betta that did this. I had him in a 6 gallon. It drove me NUTS watching him. I finally set up a 3g and put him in that and voila, no more surfing. I am guessing he just did not like the large tank.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Oh my, yes! i had one betta that did this. I had him in a 6 gallon. It drove me NUTS watching him. I finally set up a 3g and put him in that and voila, no more surfing. I am guessing he just did not like the large tank.
That could be the case, since some bettas do not like super large tanks. But new fish do this because they just need to adjust.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tai did the same thing for the first week. Now he meanders around his tank just looking around. I have another Buddha statue outside his tank that I move around. He swims around looking at it from all different angles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts