Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta keeps pacing his tank like he's lost his mind. I've had him 2 weeks. Initially had him in one gallon and quickly upgraded to a 10 gallon that he's been in about a week. Normal? I bought a larger tank so he'd have room to swim all around but now just hangs at the glass. Makes me anxious just watching him

http://tinypic.com/r/av2gg/8

(Ignore how the video made the tank 2 inches tall)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
thats called glass surfing.

Its probably because the lights in his tank are brighter than the room lights so he can see his reflection. Try taping some paper up along the sides and back of the tank. That should reduce the glare and reflection.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
you could turn his lights off, since that will cut down on the glare and reflection.

basically you want to minimize the reflection in his tank. Since you have live plants I wouldn't turn off your light. So thats why I suggested just taping paper up against the sides and back of the tank.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My betta sometimes does the same thing, so I put a piece of black paper on one side and seconds later he started flaring at it (the tank lights were on).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine did that too. He stopped after a week and a half. I tried the white paper thing and he would get worse so I added a couple of things in his tank since he's so nosy and he got over it. Now he's swimming all over the tank. He only stays in the front of the tank when I'm there :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turned the lights off but still is neurotically swimming back & forth. I can't imagine he's bored of a tank he's been in less than a week... Maybe just a bit crazy

·
Registered
702 Posts
He could possibly just need some more time to settle down. The way my betta acts is much different now than when I first brought him home. It took him maybe around 2ish weeks to fully settle in. That might be part of it? Maybe give it another week.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Mine did this obsessively due to the reflection like others said but when I added lots of live plants he's calmed down. He's too busy swimming around the plants he didn't like a sparce tank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.