Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to set up a 10 gallon tank. I am going to paint the backside of the tank instead of buying a traditional background. I know this can be done with regular paint BUT I was thinking about using glitter/sparkle paint! I was thinking either blue or black..... Has anybody done this? I googled it but did not see any pictures. In my head, this is going to look super cool BUT is it going to turn out super cool? I have no idea! Let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My only real concern with a sparkly paint is you might change your mind at some point, and glitter is notoriously hard to clean off. Instead, maybe paint paper or cardboard and tape it to the back of the tank? That way you get the same custom effect, but if you ever change your mind you can switch it out in a snap. Glitter usually leaves a rough surface, so I'd suggest doing a clear-coat over the top so you don't accidentally scratch your tank, and reduce the odds of any weird shadows developing if the fit isn't perfect.

Colored/painted paper is what I do for my backgrounds, if you're careful to cut the paper to fit between the plastic rim (assuming a traditional tank) it's pretty seamless. Here's a picture of my favorite background I've done this way because I'm still impressed with myself for it, haha.

spaaaaaace in tank.png

If you're set on using glitter directly on the tank itself though, I recommend using several layers of sparkles in a clear base, not colored. This will help them catch the light more instead of being totally pressed flat to the glass. Otherwise, the glitter won't be able to shine, and you'll be left with basically just plain paint. Using a few clear layers will also space the glitter out to give some dimension, so you don't only see the pieces on the very top.

After three or four clear sparkly layers, then paint the solid background color over that. (Remember that you're painting "backwards" when working on glass, so the background color goes on last)

Either way, definitely post pictures when you're done!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know this can be done with regular paint BUT I was thinking about using glitter/sparkle paint!
I always paint the back of my tanks black. Just make sure its water based paint that way if you change your mind its easy to remove.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Rana That is so cool!! I wish I would have read your reply before I started! Ahhh, I went ahead and painted it and it turned out ok! It's almost exactly what I wanted! I'll post pics later on today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts