Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've kept my female betta in a tank next to my male betta for just over a week now with constant lifting of the divider between them so they can see each other.

The male has made a big bubble nest but I'm not sure if the female is ready... Since she's very light coloured (almost translucent), I can't tell. Could someone please help? (see attachment below).

Edit: she has no visible horizontal OR vertical stripes to indicate if she is afraid or ready....

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Barring is just one indication of breeding readiness.

IMO, the female's behaviour towards the male, is a better indication of whether she is ready to spawn or not.

What does your female do when you allow her to see the male? Does she seem receptive, or does she behave aggressively? Does she maintain her interest in the male, or does she lose interest very quickly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Barring is just one indication of breeding readiness.

IMO, the female's behaviour towards the male, is a better indication of whether she is ready to spawn or not.

What does your female do when you allow her to see the male? Does she seem receptive, or does she behave aggressively? Does she maintain her interest in the male, or does she lose interest very quickly?
A bit of both! Sometimes she's very interested in the bubble next but then the next minute she's swimming away... I'm not sure what to think:-?

·
Super Moderator
6,442 Posts
If she flares head on, as if trying to break through, she is probably fighting him. But if she swims around her jar then flare again, she is willing to spawn and can either be released or left flaring for a day or two before release.

When you release her, make sure both male and female are swimming in a wriggling manner, one following the other. Chasing head on is more likely trying to fight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts