Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I copied this format from another user but my answers are different, in case it looks familiar.
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 81
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 50% every 1-2 weeks
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip out water
What additives do you use? Conditioner but not often

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.9
Hardness (GH): na
Alkalinity (KH): na

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Last night
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Pale from chin to first bottom fin.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not as active
Is your Betta still eating? Didn’t eat last night or today (morning or night)
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Added a couple drops of ph down just now.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your betta?
Over a year. Always been fed at 8-9am and 5-6 pm
Additional info: I’ve been really sick for 3 weeks. There have been several days lately where I slept late and fed him late. Then I ended up feeding him dinner late too. In the past week there were maybe 4 days where I went to feed him dinner and he hid in his log, like it’s bedtime-I’m over it. Then in the morning he ate his 2 pellets like a piranha the way he usually does.
The decrease in activity has been yesterday and today. Yesterday he ate breakfast but not dinner. Today he hasn’t eaten all day. I’ve tried several times. He’s not interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, when I was doing more frequent water changes he wasn’t happy and would sometimes float a lot or sometimes sink a lot. And the water wasn’t stable. The way I’ve been doing it now, it’s stable. The water is just a little yellow and that’s how he likes it.

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
1,211 Posts
Thanks for filling the form! You are taking great care of him. I feed my betta whenever i remember to, and he is fine. Do you have a pic of him? It would help a ton.
2 pellets twice a day
i'm thinking it might be malnutrition. You can try to feed him more, 4 to 5 pellets twice a day. To get him eat, soak his food in garlic juice- bettas can't resist to this, even when they are sick.

I hope we can figure out what is happenibg with your baby!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We were gone all day yesterday. He didn’t eat at all yesterday. But this morning he came out of his log. When I turned on the light he raced to the top. So I fed him and he ate with the voracity that he always has.
SO THATS GREAT NEWS.
Then we went to the bottom and tucked his head under the little side branch on his hollow log.
So that was weird.
Overall it seems like he’s improving. So I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He used to be more blue than red. But in July we moved from NY to AZ and drove across country with him in in a small container on the car console. We were careful and he wasn’t banged around a lot. But he did turn res from the stress. He was completely red and has gained all the blue over the past 6 months.

He’s actually a really happy guy up until now. I’m starting to think that my lack of attention to him and not feeding him consistently, along with all of the crap that was piled around his tank on my nightstand while I was sick, all of that just got to him and he maybe got depressed. I cleaned it all up and he can see me when I’m in bed. I’ve paid more attention to him today. He’s still not 100% but he’s a lot better.

But I’m still bugged about that pale area. Posted pics above.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UGH! He is definitely NOT better. I later found the pellets floating in the tank. Last night he chomped at the pellet but kept missing. Same thing today. He keeps trying but he keeps missing. Then he got tired and gave up with it right in front of his face.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Poor thing... did you try the garlic juice? If yes, and it didn't work, then you can try frozen bloodworms, but i can't promise anything. Was he old when you bought him from the pet store? If so, he might be aging... he looks pretty old from the pics. I really hope the best for your baby, loosing them is so hard... And thanks for trying the best for him, thats the most important.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I have no idea on the age. I’ve had him for a year. I didn’t do the garlic. Hi appetite is back. But he can’t seem to get it in his mouth.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
But he can’t seem to get it in his mouth.
Never seen something like that before. So he is trying to eat, and he cant get the food? Even when its infront of his mouth?? I'd try the garlic juice anyways, you have nothing to loose... and its so easy to make

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There’s a post I here called poor eye mouth coordination. He’s exactly like what they guy explains.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, I just wen to check him and thought he was dead. I took video so I could see better. His fins aren’t moving and I don’t even see him breathing, but his eyes move now and then. I don’t know what to do for him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s been a couple of hours. I’m off work now. He’s in the same spot. When I approached the tank he waved his fins some.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Unfortunately, it must be way more serious than i thought. You could try doing a round of KanaPlex... IDK, thats what i would do, it really doesn't look llike something that's gonna leave by itself, or with just getting him eat..

·
Super Moderator
1,543 Posts
Have you tested the water again since using the PH down? I would be curious what the PH is now. Betta can adapt to a wide variety of PH but a sudden change is dangerous to them. All my fish tanks have higher PH levels due to the water hardness in my area.
I do believe that the initial problem is either malnutrition or possible swim bladder disorder but it is really hard to tell. The "yellow" that you said he likes, what is it from? is the water yellow from tannins?
Also when you say you don't use conditioner often, are you conditioning the water with each water change? If you aren't vacuuming the substrate it is possible that the ammonia levels are higher down at the bottom there.
Is it me or is there a small lump on his upper lip?
One bit of good news I'll give is that he did not turn red from stress, he has a marble gene which means he will change colour quite often. If he did not have any of the other issues I would guess that this is what's happening with his paleness on the belly.
If it were mine I would get a vacuum and do a very through clean of the tank and take another reading to make sure the PH has not tanked. Try to feed him some blood worms with tweezers and see if he can get those in his mouth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The ph only went down .2. I didn’t use a lot. I use conditioner for water changes. Since the last time I posted I have given him API GENERAL CURE & also FIN AND BODY CURE, and a little tank salt. I’ve done more water changes. He’s improved. He’s breathing anyway. But he still doesn’t eat. He tries. He sees the food but he just can’t grab it. I’m not sure if it’s something wrong with his mouth or his eyes? I don’t think he has swim bladder issues or malnutrition. He didn’t get every meal at the right time when I was sick that week. But there wasn’t any day that he didn’t get fed at least once until he got sick. I’m gonna post some pics of his face.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts