Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve made a lot of posts about my boy before, but now I am seriously worried. He’s been refusing food more often, his tumor is stable but seems like it’s just eating away at him, all he does is sit around (but he’ll still come up to the front to see me), he’s getting more blind, and he has this odd outpouching under his chin and it looks like his scales are starting to pinecone. I’m heartbroken. Can I have some advice as to what’s going on and what to expect? I’ve done my absolute best taking care of him and his water is always clean. Please help!!!
Water Pet supply Wood Reptile Glass
Organism Fish Wood Underwater Marine biology

Wood Organism Beak Underwater Iguania
Water Vertebrate Nature Fin Underwater

Wood Organism Reptile Beak Feather

Fluid Wood Glove Plastic bottle Water

Hood Bat Organism Plant Fender

Reptile Tints and shades Vehicle door Terrestrial plant Felidae

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is likely in some kind of organ failure, I am not sure there is much you can do for him at this point. You could try an epsom salt dip but IMO you have done everything possible for this fish. I am sorry he has declined after all your efforts.
That’s what I figured. I knew when I saw him this morning that it’s almost his time to pass. Do you think an epsom salt dip would do anything? I kinda doubt it and I’d rather not stress him out more, but if you all think I should then I will. I just want him to be happy and comfortable in his last days or however much longer he has with me. Is there anything I can do to make him more happy/comfortable in this time?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@BettaloverSara
Hey so he’s only been eating a couple bloodworms a day, probably for the last 3 days now, is he just gonna starve to death along with his dropsy?😅 Gosh I feel so bad for him

Update: Usually he will eat at least one or two, but this morning he’s completely refusing it. I literally put a bloodworm (his favorite) in his mouth and he spits it out and swims away.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dropsy will take him long before he starves to death I would think but I am sure he's suffering. You may want to think about euthanasia.
Oh gosh really? I figured that would come but ugh that just breaks my heart😭 But I guess it would be good if I could be right there with him when he passes. I guess I should look up some guides on euthanasia and prepare if he doesn’t pass before that. But maybe that’s a good idea since it’s just about to be my weekend so I would have time to grieve and take care of things. How do I know he’s suffering? I assume he is but I just don’t know I guess.

Just to ask in advance, how do you clean up a tank after a fish dies? To prepare for a new lil friend to go in? I obviously won’t move on that quickly but just want to ask in advance while I’m here I guess, to make sure I know how to clean it all up afterwards. Thank you

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
3,132 Posts
@clerbird321, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're getting through this.... I completely understand you. My boy J had the same symptoms as your boy, (except of the missing dorsal fin, he had a missing caudal fin because cause of fin rot), dropsy killed him withing 24 hours. I just couldn' euthanise him. I know its hard...

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
When animals are suffering it is our responsibility to ease that suffering. Letting them continue because we can't bear the thought of euthanizing is shirking our sacred responsibility to maintain quality of life.

I will never get over the guilt of allowing Augusta Lee to suffer longer than she should because I selfishly couldn't let her go.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I’m so sorry you’re being faced with such a huge dilemma.
I’ve never had one of my fur kids peacefully pass in their sleep. I’ve had to make the decision on their behalf to end their suffering.
It has never been an easy decision to make, but I knew it was the right thing to do for them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@betta4ever! @BettaloverSara @RussellTheShihTzu @sparkyjoe

Also, how do I go about cleaning up the tank after he’s passed on?I plan on getting a new betta eventually in that same tank, obviously not too soon because I need some time. But just want to make sure I’m cleaning it correctly so the things can be reused and also want to know what can’t be reused

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
IMO, that is a decision only we owners can make for our pets as they are our responsibility.

@Feanor has given instructions on how to use Clove Oil in another thread. We should probably have a sticky.

Me? I put a bag of water in the freezer and when it is slushy frozen I add the fish and place back in the freezer. They're gone almost immediately.

Found Feanor's instructions:

Prepare a small container with water and put in the fridge until surface starts to freeze.

Prepare an emulsion of 10 drops of clove oil and 100 ml warm water by shaking it very, very well.

Add this (preferably with a syringe and some pressure) to a quarter or max. half a gallon of tank water and stir well.

Put the fish in and watch for any sign of breathing or eye movements if rolled over after twenty minutes.

If no signs, transfer fish to freezing water and dispose of (no flushing) after another twenty minutes.

If signs, repeat dose, wait and then transfer to freezing water.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IMO, that is a decision only we owners can make for our pets as they are our responsibility.

@Feanor has given instructions on how to use Clove Oil in another thread. We should probably have a sticky.

Me? I put a bag of water in the freezer and when it is slushy frozen I add the fish and place back in the freezer. They're gone almost immediately.
Okay I will read that. I think its his time. Even if he did somehow by miracle recover from dropsy, his one eye is almost completely covered with scales and his other eye is starting to do the same, and that tumor is just eating away at him. I want him to swim happily in fishy heaven, and I’ve given him the best life I could. He is very spoiled.

I bought the clove oil so I’ll likely do it that way. I hope it’s painless for him. I’m going to be so glad to be with him when he passes. Thank you for the instructions @Feanor

Just to make sure, this is dropsy, right? The pineconing and bloating?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
As my boyfriend and I were setting up for the clove oil, I went to check on him and found he had passed. He was laid peacefully on his side on his rock. I know he’s a fish with no human-like thoughts but I feel like he waited until we were both home to go since he passed in less than an hour after we got home and I got to say goodbye and that I love him so very much. We got to hold him and pet his little head for a bit. I wrapped him up in his favorite Indian almond leaves and placed him in a bag in the freezer so we can bury him in my parents’ garden tomorrow. I’m going to miss him so much. He was my first fish and my little baby. He had so much personality, loved to flare at things and always loved when I came home.

I want to thank you all tremendously for everything you’ve done for me and Mr. Feesh (aka Feepy). You have saved my butt in his care multiple times and have given me such incredible advice and comfort.

I will be back with questions about a new fish, since I have absolutely fallen in love with bettas, but not for a while, it’ll take me a bit of time to grieve for him. Not sure how long.

Thank you all again, I seriously appreciate each and every one of you who have helped me in the years he was with us.

Swim in peace, Mr. Feesh❤

@betta4ever! @RussellTheShihTzu @BettaloverSara @sparkyjoe @Eridanus @Feanor
@X skully X @Veloran @OxalisClover

1 - 20 of 31 Posts