Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been a lurker on this site for a long time but finally have made an account today.
Over the past three weeks something strange has been happening to my double half-moon betta, Sokka.

It started off with the scales just under his dorsal fin turning pure white, then his dorsal fin soon followed. Then, very rapidly, his body has started to turn white as well. Almost his whole body is white, despite him previously being black and blue.

Here is a photo from when it first started:

And a current photo:

Tank: 2.5 gal w/ filter and 10w heater
Temp: 78 F
Water: Hard
Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite levels acceptable
Higher than average alkalinity due to location.

He has not once acted sick. He has been swimming just fine, not hiding, and eating well.

As a side note: I know his fins are ragged. Shortly after getting him he had fin rot and his fins just never really looked normal after that. This is how they have looked for quite some time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll fill this out too.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5 gallon
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes; 10w
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? small nerite snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? ZooMed Betta Micro Floating Betta Pellet Food w/ Krill and Vitamin C
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellet
Freeze-dried or frozen? no
Live? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4-6 pellets in the morning

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform water changes? 25% change approx. every 4 days. 100% water change every 7-9 days
What percentage of water did you change? see above
What additives do you use? API Quick Start for 100% change + slime coat and Top Fin water conditioner for all water changes
What brand name of water conditioner? Top Fin

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Because of the test kit I use, all parameters are given in "Safe, Fine, Dangerous" levels.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH): Hard water due to location
Alkalinity (KH): High due to location

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 3 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? starting to turn white, starting at dorsal fin
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? no change in behavior
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? 25% water change every other day
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? fin rot when I first brought him home, never sick after that
How long have you owned your Betta? 8 months
Was he or she a rescue? yes
Was he or she ill when bought or given? yes, fin rot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really would appreciate a reply.
I see a lot of other boards getting help but I would really like to know if this is something serious or not.

For more info:
Though one picture is kind of blurry, there is not any cottony like substance on his fins. It is just the the pigment is gone. And in the spot in the middle of the white where it is dark, that has just come back in from being almost pure white.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I do not believe he has a parasite...but I do believe he is in fact marbling :) How exciting good luck and keep us posted on the color change

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really hope it is just color change/marbling.
I work at a pet store, so I know what most fish diseases look like, and this is something I have not seen!

And of course it had to happen to my fish, and not one at the store hahaha.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
How long have you had him? You might want to make another post in betta care if you want to get more opinions on marbling. I have one that I thought maybe something was wrong with him (his behavior was normal though) I finally realized he was a cream white getting blood red spots. Like this type of betta:

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/Truong_Le_Nguyen/media/196D80F4-E503-42F4-9D39-051941F9D384_zpsdiiibuvt.jpg.html

This is not him but this is the type of pattern he has. I think he must have been at least 6 months old when I got him and the change started after 7 months. If the color were to turn gray or brown I would get concerned. I have seen a blue betta marble like this in the betta care section. Do a search and type in marbling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long have you had him? You might want to make another post in betta care if you want to get more opinions on marbling.
I honestly have no idea how old he is. He was a sick, discounted fish at a local pet store. His cup said he had been at the store for 5 months when I bought him, and I have had him for I thought 8 months but I guess just 5! (I had to go look back through fb posts hahahaha). So that would make him, at a minimum, a year and 2 months old. But he's probably closer to 2 years. I will definitely try a post in the other board though, thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone suggested something called neon tetra disease??? They said it was a like, necrosis of the scales.

Has anyone heard of it?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I agree with the others about the marbling. :-D

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform water changes? 25% change approx. every 4 days. 100% water change every 7-9 days
What percentage of water did you change? see above
What additives do you use? API Quick Start for 100% change + slime coat and Top Fin water conditioner for all water changes

Doing 100% water changes are not necessary. As long as you are not rinsing the filter media under the faucet or in untreated tap water you do not need to waste your money on quick start. All of the bacteria live in the filter, not the water column, substrate, glass, or decorations. ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I was hopeful that it was marbling, I have woken up this morning to find some more serious symptoms.

It appears my fish has developed popeye, and it almost looks like his spine is protruding from one side.

I will be buying a new filter, some aquarium salt, and some herbal fungal infection medication today.

I only just realized how old Sokka was when I made this board and now I am fearing the worst. :(
I feel so bad because he seems to be feeling just fine; making little bubbles and everything, no stress lines, eating and swimming along...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
edit:I am now realizing that the spine curvature may have been preexisting, but it is just noticeable now that his body is white, not black. He is a double tail and I have found several boards here that say this is pretty common for them. He also has always had a rather jerky swim style.

As for the popeye, he has a white ring around his left eye and both eyes seem lightly bigger than normal. I think. Honestly I'm so paranoid about it all bc I love him so much. :(

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
if you worry about his eye I suggest you look at him from the top down, it is much easier to see if the eye is larger than the other from that angle. Sometimes a fish with naturally buggy eyes looks that way from the front.

As to the coloring it does indeed appear to be marbling, however he may also have other symptoms. marbling genes can set off without warning but can also kickstart. Some fish never stop changing but I have seen others that only change after big events like tank changes or illness.

Can you get a picture of him from the top looking down so we can check his health? That angle is really telling if you know what to look for.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
There's different types of infections; fungal, viral, and bacterial.

Do you see any fuzzy teddy bear stuffing like material growing on the fish? Do you see any slimy gray or white mold growing on the fish?

A bent spine can be caused by many things; genetics, lack of vitamin C, lack of proper nutrition, scoliosis (mostly in fry), or fish tuberculosis (which has many many other types of symptoms Fish TB is hard to cure and can be costly and is very very time consuming... can take several months to cure. I've been through this.).

Popeye is more of a symptom rather than a disease. It could be from an internal bacterial infection, streptococcus, or even poor water chemistry conditions.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Are you sure it's his spine and not his swim bladder? It's not unusual for the swim bladder to protrude slightly, especially in DTs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts