Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my female Diamond Tetras, Cheryl, has what appears to be a parasite of some sort attached to her gills. She lives in a 29g community and is the only fish with this symptom.

The string is very straight from her face and I can't see where it connects or any parts of the parasitic body. It looks almost like a stem from like duckweed or something. It only bends if she moves quickly.

She does seem to be aware of it and will occasionally move her jaw a bit. Cheryl has lived in the tank for almost a year with 6 other diamonds and 2 pearl gouramis.

Temp is at about 78, fully cycled, no ammonia, about 5. nitrate, no nitrite.

Is it an anchor worm? Should I just give her a salt bath or will I need meds for her? The pics aren't the best, she's still active and moves a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
The pics arent clear enough for me as I use a phone and pics are kinda small on my end. It sounds like an anchor worm. Its not really a worm but a copepod. If it is an anchor worm you need to treat immediately as these are contagious. You will need medication. One known is called Anchors Away.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. Strangely, this morning it's gone. I'm beginning to think it actually was the stem from some duckweed that fell to the bottom and got caught in her gill, as it didn't really look like an anchor worm or any other parasite I know of.

I'll keep an eye on her and everyone but she seems to be ok now. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts