Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This bug-thing came out of one of my fish's gills, and I grabbed and isolated it as I would like to know what it is

I'm sorry the pictures aren't the best quality, but it is all I can do with what I have :/

This little thing is disgusting me, coming out of my fish like that...Came out of my Goby by the way, not my Betta
But I still would like to know more about it and I couldn't find a good match on google search, so I thought of asking here in case someone knows more
It's about as long as the last phalanx on the little finger

Thanks in advance!

P.S: Reposting this to this zone of the forum, as per advice given

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's about an inch long? And do I see little eyes there?
Yep, to both :'(
And it also has little swimlets on its rear (underneath of course)

The Goby I got is from brackish water, but adapts well to freshwater, if that helps figuring out what that little thing is

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was it in a betta's gill? Or another type of fish?
EDIT: i just saw it came out of a Goby's gill.
No worries!

The Goby is a new addition? Is it disk shaped or oval?
Yes, I got it just two days ago, and it apparently didn't catch the bug from my tank- It already had something coming out of its gill, which I only noticed when I was home. The bug being the same colour as the Goby, I thought it was actually something that belonged to the Goby, and so I did not dare pull it out for fear of hurting the fish.

Here is a picture of the Goby before I put it in the tank, in which you can more or less see the bug poking out of the gill.

I had my worries, but I really thought it was flesh or something like an injury rather, only today did I find out it was a bug (while it was still in the fish), because it was sliding out more and more, and I could see the bug's legs. :[

As for disk or oval, I hope the pictures helped, since I am not too sure what the shapes refer to (the bug is oval-ish, but for the Goby I'm not sure how to answer)
Sorry for my misunderstanding of the question here!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Is the fish in any respiratory distress? High gill rate or gasping? I'm thinking gill maggot or gill louse...??? This fish is in quarantine now? It needs to be pronto. I hope someone will come along and advise regarding this as treatment will be needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gill louse seems to be it D:
The fish will be removed unfortunately, we'll set him free, I doubt we can feed him sadly, as he seems to prefer live food (ate one of my newborn Panda Cory fry just a few hours ago). I was hoping he would be happy enough with other foods I serve but it seems he prefers the live, still :c
Which would be an issue since I also have shrimps in there along with my pandas and betta. A shame really, but it seems to be for the best-- this bug really creeps me out, too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts