Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of right now, I can't get any good pictures, my betta is darting around too much, I'll try later:)

Today I noticed a brown worm thing hanging between Draco's (clamped) pectoral fins. It looks similar to a bloodworm. Also, I think he has ammonia poisoning, so I did a 100% change today. Here's more info:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon My Fun Fish Tank (yes, bad home I know but there's more pressing matters at the moment... Rest assured he will be getting a bigger and better home shortly)
What temperature is your tank? Warmer than lukewarm, not hot (around 75 degrees Fahrenheit)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but right next to room heater and has a lamp above it which heats up water very well)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Buffet Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Normally once a day, but it can vary. Every other day, he gets a bloodworm, and once a week, normally on Saturday I fast. Regular feedings consist of 3-4 pellets, and bloodworm will substitute one pellet on bloodworm days. (and fasting right now because of ammonia poisoning. he's had this since I got him four months ago, I just didn't know it until now. darn it petco)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Lately, I've been doing 25% a day, but today I did complete 100, and I do 100s about once a week. Occasionally, I do 75 if the water is very pooey. (Also extra info: lately he's had algae green stuff on the surface of his water, idk what it is)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Answered above. Oops!
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Bettasafe, occasionally AQ salt for ammonia poisoning and disease preventative. By occasionally I mean about every other day, I add very little, probably less than a tablespoon.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Nope
Nitrite: Nope
Nitrate: Nope (I swear, the My Fun Fish Tank was just a gift along with Draco, normally I research nonstop for MONTHS before I get a pet. If I had known his home was so unsuitable I would've just immediately refunded...)
pH: Nope
Hardness: Nope
Alkalinity: Nope

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? (he's had this since I got him in dec. but i didn't know until now) Reddish anus and behind of gills red. Clamped fins (again, had this for forever). I don't know about loss of color because he's transparent :p And, obviously, the brown parasite thing.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He comes up for air sometimes, maybe more than expected, but I really wouldn't know...
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Well, technically since I've had him, but I noticed the ammonia burns a day ago. When I first got him I thought the red gills when he flared was unnatural, because my sis had a betta and that never happened, but I don't know why, I just let it go... Ignorant me :p
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? AQ salt, 100 water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Petco betta, how would I know? But, I got him like this, soo... Yeah
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 6 months-a year? Please forgive me I'm new at this!

But, again if I had known I was getting Draco then I would've had cycled and heated 5 gallon, most likely... And again I will get pics later, no guarentees on good quality though. I think this is a parasite, is there anything I need to do/buy? If I need to buy meds, please give Amazon links. Thanks :) I hope this isn't deadly... :(

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pictures

Quality is compromised due to usage of iPhone camera... Not even sure if you'll be able to see the worm. But, worth a try so here:

Update: parasite fell off? Or he ate it. Anything else I need to watch out for? Any ammonia advice?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Maybe the 'parasite' was poop?
Try to get him into a bigger container asap--with a heater and filter.
In that size container he's swimming in ammonia, burning his gills.

Get some Prime and do a water change every day following the instructions on the container to condition the water. The aquarium salt will help.

Good luck Grace and get better Draco!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I suggest methylene blue for ammonia poisoning. Feed him less so he produces less waste and ammonia.

I do agree that you should get him out of that .5 as soon as possible. If you can, why don't you look into buying a bigger plastic storage container? It should only cost a couple of dollars. Look on ebay for cheap used heaters. You can put in a cup or two (make sure they've been washed very well) as an emergency hideout for your fish if you don't have much decor on hand.

Take a sample of your water to a local pet store and ask them to test it. They should be able to do it for free. You want to know the pH as the higher it is, the more toxic the ammonia. If your pH is more acidic there's not much to worry about.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suggest methylene blue for ammonia poisoning. Feed him less so he produces less waste and ammonia.

I do agree that you should get him out of that .5 as soon as possible. If you can, why don't you look into buying a bigger plastic storage container? It should only cost a couple of dollars. Look on ebay for cheap used heaters. You can put in a cup or two (make sure they've been washed very well) as an emergency hideout for your fish if you don't have much decor on hand.

Take a sample of your water to a local pet store and ask them to test it. They should be able to do it for free. You want to know the pH as the higher it is, the more toxic the ammonia. If your pH is more acidic there's not much to worry about.
Okay thanks! I'm getting him at LEAST a 2 gal Critter Keeper soon but most likely bigger, and I'll probably attempt cycling too. The My Fun Fish Tank was a gift, normally I research for months before getting pets but Draco came with the gift, so yeah:) He DEFINITELY needs a heater ASAP, his water is only about 72 degrees right now... And, yeah, I'm just guessing that the parasite was poop that somehow got stuck to him... Thanks for your advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts