Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on adopting another friend soon, from my local Petco (which takes surprisingly wonderful care of the bettas). Been thinking about getting a baby betta for the first time. Anyone have/had one of these? Any tips?

Thanks so much :-D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have two of them right now! They're the cutest things, but they do require some special care :)

Basically the difference between taking care of babies vs adults are:

Food -- A good quality pellet is vital. Perhaps the best is NLS Growth Formula, which comes in pellets made small enough for baby fish. But you could do another kind (regular NLS or Omega One) and you would just have to crush them up and maybe pre-soak them. Also, frozen food would be a great addition, I feed frozen brine shrimp every couple days. You could do bloodworms too. Live food would be even better if you can do that. Feeding two to three times a day is best.

Water -- You will have to do more water changes than with an adult. You want the water to be clean of course, but also babies emit a growth stunting hormone. In addition, water temperature should be a bit higher--between 80F and 85F, I would say.

Environment -- Babies like lots of hides to make them feel safe! So a tank with lots of plants would be awesome. (I had my babies in a sparsely decorated 1 gallon each until their big tank cycled, and they always had stress stripes--but once I put them in my heavily planted 10 gal the stripes faded fast!) And if you have a big tank, you may want to start off with shallow water, to make sure that they don't have trouble reaching the surface

I think that's about all! Haha. There are a few other threads on here about baby bettas--particularly the "Petco Baby Betta Thread" that you might want to check out :) Raising them is very rewarding, but sometimes they don't make it just because they've had to go through a lot of stress (shipping, being cupped, etc) at such a young age. If you decide to get one try to pick the biggest/healthiest looking one--and good luck!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Awesome info! I really want to buy a baby betta once I have an extra tank in the future. I would love the experience. =D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome info! I really want to buy a baby betta once I have an extra tank in the future. I would love the experience. =D
I agree! It just sounds like a really amazing experience. I'm thinking of adopting one this summer; I'll have so much time on my hands.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Just a warning though, many of these babies don't make it even if they can seem healthy, as was stated before they are traumatized and stressed through the shipping process and the little cups they stay in for a while.

Keeping one baby will be easier than keeping multiples in the same tank divided because the more they see another baby, the more they will emit the growth stunting hormone which does just that; backfires in the aquaria and stunts their growth which will lead to early death.

While it can be rewarding, just be warned that many still do not survive. As a Betta mom I've had a 50% growth success (3/6) of PetCo babies to survive.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The betta I have now was bought as a baby. Although he was one of the bigger ones. I fed him the New Life Spectrum for small fish for about.... two months before he was big enough to eat NLS for bettas. I also would occasionally cut a frozen bloodworm into little pieces for him.

Maybe I was lucky, but he settled in quickly and easily. Just give them lots of hiding places, feed 2-3 times a day, and change the water more often than you normally would.

Also, buying a sick adult out of pity is one thing. A sick baby is 80% likely to not make it. They just can't tolerate much stress. Just bear that in mind.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts