249 Posts
I've never heard of that before.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Awww I was hoping this wouldn't become a trend. It's hard for these bettas to swim. :-(
^^I totally thought the same thing when I first saw them. That said, they'll prolly be more suited to smaller (2-5gal) tanks, would they not?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the trend lasting for very long, honestly. For the average person who walks into a Petco looking for a betta, $50 is way too expensive. They probably won't be able to sell too many of them and end up giving up on stocking them.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Probably more for a die-hard betta fan who'd get the fish from a good source than a "OOH FISHY IN SMALL HOME" person. Bad idea, petco. xD

·
Registered
376 Posts
I feel bad for those fish. Isn't it hard for them to swim with those huge fins? They can't even nip off the ends to make them smaller *sobbing on table next to betta fish tank, thanking God that Omelette is okay* I hope, like many others, that it doesn't become a trend. But 50 bucks is a joke. Just wait a year when there'll be hundreds on the amrket and the price will go down to 15 bucks. Even then that's still a lot to ask for if you're buying a potentially diseased, health-problem-filled fish in a tiny plastic cup from a store that's known to churn out unhealthy betta fish.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ugh. There are certain big eared bettas that are pretty, but it's just harder on the fish. And $50, really? Anyone willing to spend that kind of money on a fish will be getting them online anyway. And it'll be cheaper and a better fish.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i completely agree with you all. and i'm not sure if it's really that pretty on a betta. honestly i think it looks strange.. and just like they would have an even harder time swimming. i mean, they already have larger than normal fins, these just make it worse. :[ and i would not spend $50 on a betta. nope.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I am over the moon tonight cuz I just got one of these $50 fish at PetCo for $13 cuz it was mislabeled!!!

:BIGcha-ching:

He seems super healthy and active and no problems swimming whatsoever.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh wow! yay! smart move getting him! and he's pretty. <3

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Big Ear Betta

I got this guy from Petco a couple days ago for $7.49 because he was just labeled as a Delta tail. Whoever said it is harder for them to swim is correct. I have him in a 5 gallon with a bio wheel filter which I have modified with AquaClear sponges on the intake and the outtake to reduce the flow and he is doing very well. I have attached a picture but he is a bit camera shy. His name is Apollo and I think he is amazing!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I should clarify that he definitely has no trouble swimming, he is active and healthy. He is just a bit slower due to all the finnage and definitely benefits from low water movement.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
a potentially diseased, health-problem-filled fish in a tiny plastic cup from a store that's known to churn out unhealthy betta fish.
I, and many others, have bought beautiful, active, healthy fish from Petco or Petsmart. There are breeders right here on this forum who breed Betta for the chains. The attitude and management of the individual store seems the major factor in the health of Betta for sale.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
For the average person who walks into a Petco looking for a betta, $50 is way too expensive.
Yeah but that just means they will die in petco cause we all know they dont take care of the bettas :evil:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts