Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is allowed here.

Hi everyone, I started this petition when I went to buy a betta and found that the shelves were literally bare. The fish manager was honest with me and said they had to turn the heat down at night and the drop in temperature was killing these beautiful fish. They need tropical temperatures, yet are sold in tiny cups with no heat. Every morning the manager comes in and throws away the fish that have slowly and miserably died at night.

At Petco.com’s website they state: “We believe it’s our duty to nurture the complete health and well-being of animals. Our people make it happen.” They state they have a code of ethics for the care of their animals: “Complying with our Code of Ethics and Conduct is a condition of employment at Petco, and we take violations of the Code very seriously.” They even list a phone number to call: (888) 736-9834. BUT turning down the heat is a secret, so no one calls, people just notice that there aren’t many bettas for sale.

Please sign this petition and share it. The lives of these beautiful little fish depend on your help.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/308/026/912/stop-petco-from-turning-down-the-heat-and-killing-betta-fish-at-night/

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Signed...I can't tell you how much this pisses me off the mistreatment and sale of animals for profit. I see the fish are treated the poorest of all. I have been spreading the word about this disgusting injustice being done to these poor creatures...and even people I know who really don't care about fish agree that this is WRONG.

A Local Petstore I go to has the betta all in clean cups with aeration and lighting..it's quite nice...why can't the big chain stores do this? They don't have the resources or funds? I have decided to take pics of this pet store and send it to all the big chains and ask them why they can't implement this simple system to at least give these fish a decent existence.

Another thing I CANNOT UNDERSTAND is that they are keeping these fish in deplorable condition, yet they want to sell them to us???? They are purposely selling diseased and sick fish...that more often than not THEY made that way.

Enough is enough...just like puppy mills are wrong and we are working to shut them down we need to work together to improve the lives of pet store betta. Even if they die in the cup at least they deserve semi decent living conditions.

Sorry for the rant but these petitions get my blood boiling and
FISH LIVES MATTER

·
Registered
142 Posts
Signed. You don't have any idea how much this bothers me. Actually you probably do because your signing it too! Petco has NO RIGHT to abuse their bettas! They need someone to fix this! Thank you for posting this thread! I think that a lot of people are going to sign it!
-BettaTalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is not only Patco but PatSmart and Petland. With our new Betta purchase we have visited all three in multiple locations while getting things setup. It is very sickening seeing all these bettas in tiny cups, many floating at the bottom and very none active and some dead. It's a horrible neglect and very sad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts