Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to petsmart today to get a new tank for Benz, who is looking more lively again :) I ended up buying him a siphon for his gravel a nice roomier tank. Its 1.77 gallons but is a lot better than the other one I had for him.

My sister came with me and she went to the betta section.. never a good idea right... and we brought home a beautiful halfmoon. He is very interesting I think he might be dragon scaled but not totally sure. We are in the process of setting up his tank a 2.5 gallon. He is gorgeous kinda looks like twins with Benz bit a full halfoon rather than plakat. Will take pics of both of them in their new homes soon :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so they were both released! Take it back they don't look like twins!

Cute pic of little tiny Benz, his plants are still in Qt so its pretty bare right now but I bought him a fake plant for now he ignores it for the most part :(

Here is the newbie: Is he dragon?
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...5816305865_1578203050_2600493_888436343_n.jpg

And here is a video of the two of them, Benzema finally flared today It was fun to watch his first flare :) mister tough guy now, and the newbie is just checking out his new home and fighting with his reflection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Yi9wX0twY&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah also are the new guys eyes normal? I was surprised by how black they are

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I found the 1.77 has a huge filter... My nephew is swapping me that for my 10 (he is 8 and gets to learn REAL care for bettas). I found the filter too harsh o.o shorter finned ones might have a chance because they are stronger swimmers. or so I found.

I have had bettas with pitch black eyes, blue eyes and tinged with red eyes.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
His eyes are fine, I have a girl that looks like white with just black dots. You can see her in my avatar, she is the one on the very left. I think he is a regulary halfmoon, he looks nice though. What kind of plants did you buy?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the 1.77 has a huge filter... My nephew is swapping me that for my 10 (he is 8 and gets to learn REAL care for bettas). I found the filter too harsh o.o shorter finned ones might have a chance because they are stronger swimmers. or so I found.

I have had bettas with pitch black eyes, blue eyes and tinged with red eyes.
Oh yeah I'm not using the filter for it I wanted to get the 2.56 filter but they were out and poor Benz was in a cup and he was dying to get out...once they taste freedom thats it haha you can't keep them in those cups

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His eyes are fine, I have a girl that looks like white with just black dots. You can see her in my avatar, she is the one on the very left. I think he is a regulary halfmoon, he looks nice though. What kind of plants did you buy?
What do you mean by regulary? sorry Im still learning terms and things just curious. Oh yeah I see her its interesting you can see his eyes much clearer now. They are the anacharis one that I wrote about in the other thread. I don't know if they are safe to put in because they smell weird and the water looks cloudy. You said something about them adjusting to the water type?

Also the guy threw this is the bag with the anacharis as a "bonus" can you help me identify it, its really cool I see tons of new baby sprouting from it

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
he's beautiful! :eek: his eyes are fine. now, if they were clouded over or pure white, that's when ya gotta worry, but even then it's not like they miss eyesite. o-o i had an HMPK who was partly blind, and he lived happily until he died(i'm thinking he had an internal tumor, because there was a SPOT on his head that looked off).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he's beautiful! :eek: his eyes are fine. now, if they were clouded over or pure white, that's when ya gotta worry, but even then it's not like they miss eyesite. o-o i had an HMPK who was partly blind, and he lived happily until he died(i'm thinking he had an internal tumor, because there was a SPOT on his head that looked off).
Yeah I figured they were okay im just being paranoid. Aww how long did he live?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Blind bettas tend to live just as long as any other betta, so it wouldn't be anything to worry about :) my friend's betta, we try keeping his one plant in the same spot and don't tend to take him out during water changes. However, if we did do water changes and had to take him out he was out back in the same spot every time.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you! we decided to name him Anani it mean "my cloud" in hebrew. :)

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Theo lived almost a year with me. i did everything i could to make sure he was happy and felt safe. he had two plants, no gravel or rocks, and a feeding ring. he would sleep on the flower-plant and rest there during the day, and would run into and hide in the big, pink, flowing plant when scared.

he always had this SPOT on his head, like a band that went from one side to the other, that just looked.... off. he was pure white, but it was a DIFFERENT white. like.... not the same kind of scales on it, that he had on his body, if that makes sense. i'm thinking it was a tumor, because of how odd it was. well... one day, i saw he was having trouble keeping upright. when he swam, it was more of a spiral, like he couldn't keep his balance. :I an hour after i saw him like that, he was dead. :<

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Theo lived almost a year with me. i did everything i could to make sure he was happy and felt safe. he had two plants, no gravel or rocks, and a feeding ring. he would sleep on the flower-plant and rest there during the day, and would run into and hide in the big, pink, flowing plant when scared.

he always had this SPOT on his head, like a band that went from one side to the other, that just looked.... off. he was pure white, but it was a DIFFERENT white. like.... not the same kind of scales on it, that he had on his body, if that makes sense. i'm thinking it was a tumor, because of how odd it was. well... one day, i saw he was having trouble keeping upright. when he swam, it was more of a spiral, like he couldn't keep his balance. :I an hour after i saw him like that, he was dead. :<
Aww poor little guy. Im sorry that must have been really hard. I always find it harder when they do after so much care :( It sounds like he lived happily though and Im sure he appreciated how nice you were to him :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Spartan had a tumor :/ and I will tell you it seems like the best bettas you get have something like that wrong with them D:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts