Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 4 weeks ago I added driftwood into my 90L tank which leaked tannins even when I boiled and soaked it. The water turned light brown and pH dropped from 7.2 to 6.6 and ammonia spiked to 2.0. I understand the ammonia is now less toxic ionised ammonium but would I still need to lower it ? Will bacteria ever grow back in that pH ?
I want to keep the pH at 6.6 because my bettas are enjoying the water (some are making bubble nests) and show no sign of illness.

My tank is cycled 3ft 150 L tank filled at 90L (upgraded)
6 giant plakats
pH 6.6 ammonia/ammonium 2.0ppm nitrite 0 nitrate 0
Temp 26c 2 teaspoon of AQ salt

·
Registered
401 Posts
drift wood will always lower the PH in your tank I did the same thing to my 10 gallon community. My PH before I put in the driftwood that had been boiled for 6 hours and soaked for 3 days still leached Tannis into the tank for three more weeks. I did 30-50% water changes every two days until the water finally cleared. for the past week I have noticed the tank is crystal clear (no more leaching) and my PH is staying at 6.8. (even have tried to use PH up 7.0 to get back to my wanted 7.0 state. It lasts a day and drops to 6.8) So I guess since the fish and plants I have in the tank will accept a PH range of 6.0 to 7.6 my new PH balance will be 6.8.
Keep doing water changes of about 30% every other day and check water quality daily. You will soon have clear water and 0 ppm for ammonia. The bacteria is still there and feeding and it will adjust to the new PH. If your really worried about the bacteria you could always add some with out any worries. ( I use API quick start and have had great success.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.