Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. So I tested Meeseeks water pH last night at he was sitting pretty at a solid 7.0 in his 5 gallon tank. Pre-fish I used API tap water conditioner and that wasn't cutting it (the pH levels in my state are VERY hard/alkaline, lots of limestone). I didn't want to keep pouring it in the tank so I figured I'd experiment outside the tank with chemical related stuff until I knew what I was doing. I then put in 1/2 a tablet of Tetra Correct pH 7.0 and it solved the problem. 7.0, added Meeseeks. I checked it today and the pH is back around the 7.8 area. I know the pH fluctuations are bad. I'm going to let him hang out in this pH until I figure out the problem/solution.

I tested the gravel too, it's fine. There are 2 silk plant and a plastic bridge. I don't think they're the pH culprits. What I'm thinking is that the pH in my tap water is SO hard that it kind of just is knocking out whatever chemical balancers are in there.

I messed around and found the proper mixture of tap and distilled water at 7.0 and was wondering a few things...

Can this mixture of JUST water, no chemicals be enough for gradual introduction to the tank to lower the pH and try and keep it at a level 7.0 or should I still be putting some sort of conditioner in the water as well. Like adding the appropriate amount of conditioner TO this mixture.

Basically all natural or plus conditioner?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Do not play around with your PH the fluctuations will kill your fish.

Your Betta is better off with a stable PH, Some members have 8.2 PH and their fish are fine.

Tetra Correct pH 7.0
This stuff and any product that claims to lower PH is absolute rubbish.

Lowering the pH is a more extensive task. If you simply add a product such as “pH Down” this will not work. Your buffering system will simply very quickly raise the pH back to its original state. You must remove the buffering ions from your tap water so that you may lower the pH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do, thank you. He's on day 3 of his tank now and seems very happy. Much more darting around and comes to the front of the tank when I come in than yesterday. Had some fog in the tank on day 2 but it's completely gone now.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
The pH is not what's hard about the water. The GH (general hardness -- calcium, magnesium) and KH (carbonate hardness -- carbonates, bicarbonates) are what determine hardness. In Texas, land of liquid rock, if your tapwater is only 7.8pH, that indicates acceptably soft water. Don't mess with it.

That level of pH will also produce a fast, stable nitrogen cycle. CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

You should use a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia as well as dechlorinates. Prime (by Seachem) is cost-effective, safe and reliable. A few drops a day until the tank is cycled.

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts