Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got a PH testing kit for fresh water, and it was really high. The other thing was that the kit did not have the color strip that it is supposed to come with it (but there was one online). I will do a complete tank change and test the water again after. Poor Buddy.

:cry:

I also go a few bulbs to grow life plants and a round moss ball.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
What test kit are you using? Is it liquid or strips? I wouldn't recommend doing a water change, because I'm assuming the pH of your tank water is going to be similar to that of the tap water. Also, if there are differences between the two, you can send your fish into shock if you do a large water change without proper acclimation.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I must have missed that it was 7.8 unless you edited it in. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, a pH of 7.8 is fine. Betta splendens are highly adaptable and it's best not to try and adjust your pH unless you know what you are doing as you can inevitably cause dangerous fluctuations.

Ammonia is a more likely culprit in causing fin issues. Excessive flaring and rough decorations/substrate can also cause damage to fins.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What test kit are you using? Is it liquid or strips? I wouldn't recommend doing a water change, because I'm assuming the pH of your tank water is going to be similar to that of the tap water. Also, if there are differences between the two, you can send your fish into shock if you do a large water change without proper acclimation.
It is a liquid test kit.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must have missed that it was 7.8 unless you edited it in. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, a pH of 7.8 is fine. Betta splendens are highly adaptable and it's best not to try and adjust your pH unless you know what you are doing as you can inevitably cause dangerous fluctuations.

Ammonia is a more likely culprit in causing fin issues. Excessive flaring and rough decorations/substrate can also cause damage to fins.

Thank you.

I had to check the online color chart for, so I did edit it to add the number.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1 LBF. Large water changes can do more harm that good.

That pH level is fine and wouldn't cause holes or tears. Do you flare him? Or does he flare a lot? Sometimes if they flare too much and too hard they will create pinholes in their fins.
The "instructions" that came with the mirror said no more than 5 minutes, twice a day, and that's what I did. I also recently observed that this tail is getting "ragged" and thought maybe he was biting his fins or something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.