Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. Y'all are the most betta knowledgeable people I have contact with, tell me bout my new betta. Supposed to be Dragon but I'm open for comments. I've been treating him for some dorsal fin damage since Wednesday, he seems REALLY happy!! Hope you enjoy. He's a Petco Betta, but he is awesome (although I may be partial:-D). Bowl has been stripped down to bare minimum for fin care.

I can only see that gold on him when the flash gets it.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Pretty! I think the yellow on his chin and tail makes his colour mustard gas. A dragon scale usually has a dark parting along the top of the head. So he may be a mustard gas dragonscale (a mouthful haha).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
He's not a real Mustard gas, I'd say a Blue Yellow bicolor Dragon ;-)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Need to see him in a flare to know if he's HM but he looks Super DeT to me with that rounded caudal.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
haha, no worries.

HM = Halfmoon
Super DeT = Super Delta

Delta's are generally anything between VT (Veiltails) up to the spread of around 160, 160 roughly to 179 degrees is Super Delta and then HM is 180 with a straight caudal (tail) edges. Your boy has rounded edges, I'll have to make a diagram to explain that better one day lol

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yes. But it's not the black edging that makes him a Dragon, it's the thick scaling.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I have two big lizards and a snake, that's why I told you earlier he is defiantly scaled like a reptile. Well, that's cool, Petco had it right.

What do you think about his dorsal fin and the top of his caudal?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's just some funky ray's sticking out, nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YAY! That makes me feel so much better!!!!
Do you think I should continue with the Stress Coat and Aquarium Salt? What about everyday cleaning I'm doing? He doesn't seem to mind or be stressed. He seems to be happier with all the added attention. Yesterday was the first day I showed him a mirror, he didn't flare; today he's all feisty and flares like crazy when he sees himself. I'm guessing he probably wasn't in optimum health when I got him....

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Aquarium salt doesn't heal fin rot so yes you can discontinue that. Stress Coat doesn't help fins either lol but you'll need a water conditioner so that will work fine. With that small of a tank he'll need twice a week cleanings minimum. Anything under 3 gallons needs twice a week cleanings.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. Thank you so much! I did remove his plastic plant gonna get him a real plant this weekend. I don't mind the frequent cleaning and I'm still not opposed to moving him up to a bigger setup, but I like having him so close and being able to interact with so much.... Plus, on the wall he is safe from my 3 house cows (most people call them cats). Even though he's an eating machine he is not a messy boy....he's actually a bit prissy...lol

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I'm sure you could fit a small 2.5 gallon on your desk? The Aqueon Mini-Bow is fantastic and you can upgrade the light to a cheap CFL from wal-mart to grow all sorts of plants for him! He'd be a real happy Betta then ^_^ and the plants help keep him safe as long as they are growing well!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
....One of my house cows has thumbs...he's a polydactal. ... I'm gonna upgrade him. He's happy and interactive now, I can't wait to see him with more room :) You are GREAT! Thank you for helping with all my newbie questions.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Lol yeah, I had one like that too, he used to hold his tail. He was such a good boy :)

But yeah, for the moment, as long as you do the water changes and feed him well, he should be just fine for now ^_^

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.