Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I might be overreacting but I'm pretty worried about my newest betta Petco rescue Cap.
He seemed to be improving in energy and color and immensely so in fin regrowth but he has developed red streaks in his fins as well as a tiny pimple-like bubble on his anal fin.
This thing just showed up out of nowhere! Within a few hours!
I don't want him to go through any more than he already has with his previous fin loss! Is this something I can/should treat?
What do you guys think :-(

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon Betta Food
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Sometimes bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 5 pellets a day separated at 3 different times

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Yes
What percentage of water did you change? 75%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuumed
What additives do you use? Aqueon BettaBowlPlus and API Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: .25 (Even though conditioned properly)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 6.8-7
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today. Within a few hours the "pimple" showed up.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Yellowing and red streaks through fins
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No change
Is your Betta still eating? Yes - vigorously
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? N/A
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Received him with terrible fin loss - has improved (?)
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? 1 week - rescue betta

Recent change - just added in new plants: bamboo and anubias I believe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just took a closer look, and I don't know how I could have missed this before but the dot/pimple no longer looks like a tiny bubble, but has a small white string looking thing coming straight out of it. Must be a recent development.
It is making me super uncomfortable...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
How often do you do a water change: Yes

Um okay? Your ammonia is a bit high, try Prime conditioner, it de-detoxifies ammonia, regular conditioner does nothing, you can't get rid of ammonia without a filter. It could be GBD? Gas bubble disease? It's like SBD but with air/gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha... :lol: Sorry - yeah I've been doing a water change every day to some degree since his fins are in the process of healing.
Anyways, so much has happened in the past 5 minutes. I just attempted to move Cap into his hospital tank and his energetic refusal to be transported must have shaken off the white string type thing that was attached to his fin. Now there is no bulge/bubble and the redness has decreased significantly.
Am I in the clear?
Besides of course, getting that Prime stuff to get rid of the pesky ammonia :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts