Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, meet MR Fancy-pants... I got him about 10 weeks ago. He has some irregularities on his tail, I suspect he was a tail biter and slowly recovering and he sometimes gets these pin-holes in his tail (IDK if you would be able to see the tiny hole on his tail from the picture attached, towards the bottom). So I looked it up and looks like it is a form of fin rot? I always treat his water with IAL when doing regular water changes and AQ Salt -1 tsp for 10 LT. I know there's some debate about salt but I am worried his tail will be infected so I am using it until he fully recovers. So I guess the question is: Why is this happening and is there more I can do for him to recover quickly or for his tail to not get infected?

Housing
What size is your tank? He is in a 30 LT bowl -giant bowl :)
What temperature is your tank? 26 Celsius
Does your tank have a filter? Yes - canister Boyu EF-05
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He has 2 moss balls, semi-submerged dragon flames (he loves to hide in them) and 4 violets, no other fishies -oh and a small banana lily.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? A variety of dried bloodworms (soaked in garlic sub), Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, Sera Betta Pallets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once every day (I know I should fast him one day of the week but he has a good apatite...

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% weekly, 75% every 15-20 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% - 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? IAL & AQ Salt & API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

API liquid drop test
Ammonia: .0 - .25
API Strip test
Nitrite: .0 - .5
Nitrate:0 - 20
pH: 7.5 - 8.0
GH: 60 - 120 mg/L
KH: 120 - 180 mg/L

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small holes in his tail and irregularities at the tips
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not changed, very active, eats well and occasionally builds bubble nests
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He gets these tiny holes every now and then
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Just regular AQ salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had a very mild fungal infection, slightly after I got him home. Treated that with 2 regular baths of Blue Planet Multi Cure (active ing.: 0.4 mg/mL Malachite green, 4 mg/mL Methylene blue, 2 mg/mL Acriflavine) symptoms have cleared -he had one fuzzy spot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know, I have had him for 10 weeks now and got him from a petshop.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
First, Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Does Mr Fancy Pants (who is gorgeous!) do a lot of flaring? Sometimes that can cause pinholes. As long as you keep him water warm at around 80F and the Nitrites and Ammonia at 0ppm he should start to heal and be fine.

Here's a suggestion:

Your tank is trying to cycle. While it is you need to test every day and change 25% of the water if Ammonia or Nitrite reach .25ppm. That may require two or three water changes per week. Here is a tutorial which will explain it. You will need Seachem Prime if you can get it.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=555434

Not sure why you are showing the Nitrates. Are you siphoning up waste and leftover food when you change his water?

Some claim strips aren't as accurate as liquid. But I've tested the same water at the same time and the readings have been consistent. Maybe some people have trouble differentiating the colors in the strips.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Russell,
Firstly, thank you for the warm welcome and the instant response :) Mr Fancy Pants is usually calm he only flares at me in the morning... I do siphon the bottom but he has pebbles and I can't get the cracks probably. I am thinking about getting a snail but I am afraid of the population getting out of hand.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
You are more than welcome!

I think if you do the water changes based on keeping Ammonia and Nitrites at 0ppm you will see improvement in Mr. Fancy Pants.

You can use a turkey baster between water changes to get the waste/food before it sinks into the cracks in the grave. You can even a piece of airline tubing to get down in the gravel and around decorations. With smaller tanks I would often clean half the gravel one water change and the other half with the next.

What are the violets? Are they regular African violets? If so, could they be decaying and causing the Nitrate rise? Could you post a photo of the entire bowl?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts