Betta Fish Forum banner

Pin Sized Holes on Betta's Head?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TheOnlyCanvas 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw this little guy at Petco and thought he was absolutely beautiful. When I looked closer I saw lots of little pinholes all over his head - and yes, they're definitely holes, not dark spots. Here's a link to the image, but larger so you can see the detail.

I left the store, but ended up going back later that day and buying him. He's currently in a one gallon, lighted tank. (As he gets bigger and I have a little more pocket change I'll bump him to a 2.5 gallon like my other betta - he's comfortable for now, though). The temp reading has been staying steady at around 80 degrees (no heater, no filter). I conditioned the water with stress coat and he seems perfectly healthy aside from some difficulty swimming occasionally - his dorsal fin seems to act like a sail and pulls him down sometimes, but he rights himself pretty quick. I've gotten him to eat a few Omega One Buffet pellets. He's relatively active.

I was just curious if any of you know what it could be? I had considered hole in the head, but it doesn't seem quite the same. Other tentative suggestions I've found online are ammonia burns (from being in the cup), genetics, or some other form of infection/parasite. The people at the pet store had no idea, of course. *eye roll*

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah but I've seen it before.. oddly they were all platinum/white fish. Maybe it's the genetic line. He looks super healthy otherwise, so I wouldn't worry about it.

#7 ·
Hehe. I wasn't really looking to get another betta at the moment, but I've always wanted a white halfmoon. I always look at the bettas when I go to the store just because they seem so sad. I've watched beautiful bettas that I've passed up waste away in those cups (a beautiful purple DT HM had faded to a pale purple within the span of a week), and I couldn't bare the thought of leaving him there.

Good luck finding one, and good luck convincing hubby ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.