Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am not sure if I would want to undertake this, so I thought I would ask if anyone would be interested in this.

I wanted one, and only one, ramshorn snail for my tank. I purchased one snail from a kind forum member, and put her in her own tank. I was hoping that she was young enough to not have mated yet. But she started laying eggs. When they hatched, I took one out and placed it in yet another separate tank, and when he was large enough, I put him in with my Sharkie. Sharkie did initially eat one of Waldo's antennae, but he then started ignoring him, and the antennae grew back.

So I was thinking, would others want to buy one ramshorn snail? Baby bettas are jarred individually, why not snails? I would have to get a few small grow out tanks with heaters if there was an interest. I would probably charge $8 per snail, plus priority shipping, which I am guessing would be around $15 total. Not sure though, it might be less.

Keep in mind, your betta might not want a tankmate, and ramshorn snails don't have a trapdoor, although it can retreat completely into its shell.

Here are a couple of pictures of Waldo, he is the cutest thing!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Most people consider ramshorns a pest snail as they can reproduce quickly and get out of control in over fed tanks with lots of excess food (or excess diatoms or dead plant matter).
Those that do sell them sell for much cheaper. eBay sellers of red, pink, even blue leopard (most desirable imo) ramshorns sell 5 snails for $7.99, 10 for $10-$12. So you'd likely not get many buyers with your higher pricing.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ramshorn+snails&_sop=15

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well yes, but I'd be offering a ramshorn snail that was guaranteed not to overpopulate, and I've got to pay for the grow out tanks and heaters. It wouldn't be a pest snail if there was only one, know what I mean? I would be removing them as soon as they hatch and placing them in individual tanks, so they have no chance to mate. My Waldo has been in Sharkie's tank since January, and since it didn't mate, there are no eggs and no babies.

This is good feedback, thank you. I was wondering if people would think along those lines.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Ooo so your working the "it had no chance to mate and be an egg laying night mare" angle, i understand now. Well as long as people ensure their live plants don't come with snails or eggs they won't have to worry about it finding a mate in the tank.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, that's my angle, lol!

Ah, I hadn't thought about the "running into a hitchhiker" possibility. Yes, I'll have to inform my potential customers of that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's so unbelievably cute. I was never really interested in snails until now haha.
Pink ram horns are definitely my favorite coloration, but in all honesty, I'd go with the cheapest option I could find. $23 doesn't sound bad, but I'm not a huge snail shopper and I don't know what price range is normal. I googled just now, and found one on ebay for $20. I'd rather pay the extra three dollars for a guaranteed non-pregnant snail from a source I trust haha.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hee....

I meant $15 total, $8 for a snail and $7 for the shipping.

So, one maybe..... any other thoughts?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I think you're wasting your time and money honestly. Ramshorns don't need their own tank and heater since they grow so small. I can totally see where you're going with it but buying them each a heater? You're creating an upscale niche product in a community where they are already considered pests by many. I LOVE ramshorns but I wouldn't pay even 1$ for one, regardless of the marketing angle the seller took with it being a hatchling which never had the chance to fertilize.

I don't know. I don't want to sound harsh or anything and I hope you do some more research on it. You can definitely save money though by not buying them all heaters (think of the initial buying cost + electricity). They're so hardy they will survive in room temp, they won't thrive but they will survive until you send them to their new homes. Check out aquabid to see what other people are selling their rams for.

Good luck.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good, thanks for the feedback. I have my current snail tank heated, but I guess I could place the babies in unheated tanks or jars.

I realize that having a snail isn't for everyone, but for those who might consider purchasing a nerite because they won't reproduce, this might be an option.

(Besides, if I was worried about time or money, I wouldn't be keeping betta, lol!)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Haha, it's possible your snail didn't mate until after you got her.
I didn't know it until I did some reading, but ramhorns will reproduce asexually :p Not sure if I want one now

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good, thanks for the input. So, I can't control the shipping cost, which is $7 for Priority, I believe. $8 is too much for one snail. Would $5 be reasonable? That would be $12 with shipping.

Again, I am just brainstorming, not sure if I would do this. That's why it is here and not on the marketplace thread.

Engel, I don't believe that they reproduce asexually, I'll double check. I believe that they can change sex, so if you have two males, one will switch to female and they will mate. If one snail has never had contact with another, it can't become pregnant. At least that is my understanding.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think it would be a niche market, but there might be some demand. I had thought about snails, but it seemed like my options were either snails that would take over. Snails I wouldn't be able to keep in a Betta tank that needs an air opening or snails that would be very hard to keep alive when the algae ran out. Oh yeah, or the ones you almost never see. I haven't done a lot of research, but that little pink guy is cute and I'd pay extra to know it wouldn't reproduce.

There's also the fact that most of us have multiple tanks, so I would probably want three (separately bagged obviously), but that would make the shipping less prohibitive.

Keep in mind though, this is from someone that knows very little about snails!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts