Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They posted one of those 0.9g Marina Betta tanks today at 50% off on Facebook and I had to comment on it...

----------------------------------------
Donna ********* - If only it was the right size for a betta, these tanks are beautiful but too small :(
about an hour ago · Like · 1

PJ's Pets Official Page - Hi Donna, the Half Moon Betta Kit is 3 liters. Betta fish do very well in a bowl environment as they breathe atmospheric air and therefore do not depend on the oxygen content of the water to survive. Betta’s will do well in a bowl that is 1 liter or larger.

If anyone has any questions about caring for Betta fish, please let us know.
10 minutes ago · Like

Donna ********* - Actually no, tanks under 1g should not be used with Bettas. Tanks under 1g are for ease of selling kits to unsuspecting new Bettas owners. I believe these are 0.9g tanks, which is much to small once you factor in gravel and plants (which takes up water space). Most would argue anything under 5g is too small for Bettas, but I tend to favor towards the modest side of the equation and go with anything over 1g. The reasoning as well is that a tank with this little water cannot be stable, is much more work for the owner to clean (since it would need to be cleaned 3 times a week, much more stressful on the fish as well). I am quite knowledgeable with fish, Bettas are my specialty. I have been pulling Bettas from your stores for the last year, all in bad condition. Please, do not lecture me on proper Betta care :) All I am saying is the tanks you offer are beautiful, pleasing to the eye but they serve no purpose for the fish, but more for the humans that want these fish as decoration. I wish they were sold in larger sizes.
4 minutes ago · Like · 1

Donna ********* - Please check any Betta Fish forum for proper Betta information.
--------------------------------------------

I am fuming right now. If anyone wants to, search PJ's Pets Official Page on Facebook and give them your opinion on small inhumane 1 liter Betta tanks! I am sure they will remove my comment soon.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here's a friend of mines responce <3

I have personally seen pictures of the states of fish Donna buys bettas in and she has done a wonderful job rehabilitating them from several states / illnesses. Perhaps employees would benefit from education on how to recognize diseases / illness in fish and proper (larger) tank sizes could be implemented. One of the worst things I see (often) is a store selling Betta's in cups. A cup or less of water is ridiculous. If a store wants to sell bettas and cannot put them together because they will fight / they take up too much space then they should not sell bettas. And need to learn more about them. Females can live in communities together. Donna is an endless resource on Betta keeping and may be able to help you with setting up a fish friendly in store betta environment that does not rely on the old wives tale that no bettas can live together and they can live in very little water etc.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I got into an argument one day on the Petco FB page. Some moronic women kept telling me how they live in dirty puddles and that's that. She would not listen to reason. People are stupid.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Oh I agree. I go to pet shops all the time and help people out more than the employees do :p

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done that, and the employees HATE me. There is one guy who likes me, he's a Betta keeper but the main fish guy, walks in the backroom when I come in the store :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
lol yup. Most of the fish people hate me, except the manager. We have an understanding that there isn't much he can do besides lots water changes and that I get discounts on sick fish.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Unfortunately, the person who's posting ads for PJ's is likely nothing more then a web developer, not a petshop employee, so he probably knows less about fish then the shop guys do, which is nothing. He's just posting fliers for the company. It's how most corporate sites work. But posting replies and adding reviews to their website products is a great way to get other people informed.

So I posted :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
I feel like we need a day when all of us organize and claim it Betta Fish Awareness Day and we all post an various pat chain stores' Facebook pages about the bad things we've seen in the stores, inform them about their horrible tanks, correct any false information they give about bettas (They prefer to live in small tanks! Change once a month! Feed once a week! No heater required!) and make our concerns realised.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I feel like we need a day when all of us organize and claim it Betta Fish Awareness Day and we all post an various pat chain stores' Facebook pages about the bad things we've seen in the stores, inform them about their horrible tanks, correct any false information they give about bettas (They prefer to live in small tanks! Change once a month! Feed once a week! No heater required!) and make our concerns realised.
This times a million! I wish we could do something like that, it would be great for the fish, and easy to push the stores into joining in, because if they're telling people how to REALLY take care of betta, they would make more money off sales. Theoretically....

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
In the UK it's illegal to sell anything under 1 gallon as a fish home because it's considered ANIMAL CRUELTY. >__> that should say something, like that this country is pretty backwards compared to them (fish care wise).

Edit: just found their Facebook page and gave them a piece of my mind. :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Someone should start a thread on Betta awareness day! I would but it wasn't my idea

·
Registered
843 Posts
Haha. I considered making it a thousand times in my head. I started by thinking of making an Aquatic Pets Awareness Day, to educate people about all fish/aquatic animals. Then I realised I don't know enough about ALL species, so if I did ever get around to making something then I'd need a lot of help. I'd rather focus on fish I know really well: bettas. :)

If I ever did make something, would you guys be interested in participating? I always thought it would be relevant to do on the first day of summer because that's when people think of water and beaches and that leads to thoughts about fish... I'd do it on FaceBook and organize it there, of course.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I'm tempted to leave little "visit bettafish.com" cards where the betta are at petsmart. But would this lead to tons of website spam, or is it a good idea?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think focusing on betta's is a good idea. They're the ones that are being sold as "throw away pets"

·
Registered
843 Posts
I wouldn't leave JUST the website but perhaps a myth and fact, then website. Like...

MYTH: Betta fish prefer living in small spaces.
FACT: Betta fish evolved to survive in small spaces during extreme circumstances but thrive and need at least a gallon of water to live to healthily.

I wanted to make posters like this for Betta Fish Awareness Day and leave them all over pet/fish stores or on sign posts. Haha.

I think I may make that FaceBook page.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.