Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My sister is in college and is interested in getting a betta fish for her dorm. She would be able to take care of it pretty easily , but the issue would be when she leaves college to come home for vacations. Is it at all possible to transport the betta via airplane? It is only and hour and a half long flight, but I am not sure if that would be too stressful for the betta or not.

Also, instead of flying the betta would it be better to mail it back and forth? It would not be mailed constantly, but it would still have to be several times a year.

Finally, is there anyway to simply leave it at college without it dying or starving?

Thank you all so much. I would just like to know which one of these options is the best.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Depends on how long the vacations are. Bettas can go a while without eating so long as the water is warm and cleanish. Some schools have policies about leaving fish tanks in dorms during holiday as well as max tank size, it's best to find out the details of these policies before getting a fish.

I don't know how flying would work. You would need to call the airline. It shouldn't hurt the fish really but it may be a headache. You could ship it but that could cost a bit of money. A good option would be to have someone local take care of the fish by following specific written directions during holidays.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I wouldn't fly a fish. I don't think you'd be able to keep it with you due to water restrictions, and back with the luggage the temperature will be who knows where and the pressure will most likely fluctuate. He/she could get tossed around since they are never careful with luggage. I've heard bad stories about animals being transported on planes, and they were much bigger than fish. Shipping would be the best option if you had to move the fish.

Like Kithy said it the length of the vacation also matters. You can feed your fish a little more before you go on vacation (a few days to a week maybe, depending on how long she'll be gone) and it should be okay, but again, depends on how long she'd be away.

It also depends on the size of the tank. If he/she will be in a small tank (1-2.5 though 2.5 is usually the suggested minimum around here) and it is unfiltered then water changes might be an issue so there is no ammonia build up.

Would there be anyone able to take care of the fish? Maybe just for water changes or possible feeding?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Rather than travel on the plane with the fish you could mail it express.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure if anyone would be able to take care of it at the dorm but I can ask.

Also, how long is the maximum time the fish should be alone? My sister will be on vacation for usually about a month at a time. Is a month too long?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Depends on tank size.

Larger tanks can be left alone for longer periods of time with little harm coming to the fish. Smaller tanks fill with ammonia and toxify the water quicker.

So she'd probably have to ship it home for someone to set up and care for with a tank ready and waiting during breaks and then ship it back to school.

I'd strongly urge her to find someone who can take care of the fish adequately rather than shipping it back and forth.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
DO NOT overfed the fish before vacations! that extra waste will hurt the water quality and cause ammonia to spike which can kill the fish.

Make sure she checks with her dorm and the rules about keeping fish.

I suggest at least a 2.5 gallon tank and to have it heated (it needs to be heated, no exceptions) and filtered.

You cannot take fish on the plane with you. The will not allow it because you would have to bring water from outside the airport and that is against their regulations. So your option would be to express mail it, which also can be difficult.

I actually do not suggest getting fish for a dorm room except in the case where the only traveling it will do will be by car. It can be very stressful on the fish being moved and shipped constantly. I personally waited until I got an apartment off campus because that way I can keep fish in whatever tanks I want and not have to worry about anyone "throwing them out" during vacations.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
DO NOT overfed the fish before vacations! that extra waste will hurt the water quality and cause ammonia to spike which can kill the fish.

Make sure she checks with her dorm and the rules about keeping fish.

I suggest at least a 2.5 gallon tank and to have it heated (it needs to be heated, no exceptions) and filtered.

You cannot take fish on the plane with you. The will not allow it because you would have to bring water from outside the airport and that is against their regulations. So your option would be to express mail it, which also can be difficult.

I actually do not suggest getting fish for a dorm room except in the case where the only traveling it will do will be by car. It can be very stressful on the fish being moved and shipped constantly. I personally waited until I got an apartment off campus because that way I can keep fish in whatever tanks I want and not have to worry about anyone "throwing them out" during vacations.
That last paragraph, yeah. If you can put one betta in a 10g, cycled it would probably be fine for a month. But anything less for one betta just isn't going to be safe for the fish.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The size of the tank is irrelevant - all that matters is that the tank is cycled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.