Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

So, I've been taking a lot of your comments to heart, and after thinking it over, I realized that my life would probably be much easier if I took time to get a bigger tank and cycle it.
Right now, I have a 3 gallon that I do 100% water changes on every 5 days with a 50% in between. That's a lot of water to change in a week and it's going to be much harder when I bring my fish home from school for the summer.
So this summer, I will probably work on cycling a 5 gallon. A few questions:

1) What's a good 5gal that you all would recommend? I am tight for cash, so maybe an X-Large Kritter Keeper?

2) Could I keep my Whisper3i filter for use in a 5gal? I know it's for only 1-3 gallons, but it's very low flow and quiet. Also, I don't want to buy another filter >.<

3) What would a weekly water change be for a cycled 5gal?

Thank you all!

- MadameDesu

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Not being familiar with US brands, I can only answer question 3 - for a cycled 5 gallon you are looking at one 25-50% per week. :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One 25 or 50% a week would be such a blessing!
What type of filter media would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I think the filter is big enough, I am not familiar with most Tetra filters besides the PF10. You could most likely keep it though. I don't think the XLarge KK is 5 gallons, but again I am not familiar with it. You could always try and find a 10 gallon glass kit, they are actually pretty cheap, sometimes at Petco they have it on sale for like 30, filter, hood, and light. Just keep browsing and you can find a good deal. The less patient you are the more likely you will pay more, unless there is a sale. Just keep checking and you will find a deal.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lee's Kritter Keeper are about 5.6 gal or something like that.
I'd love to get a 10 gallon and have two bettas! But I'll be living in a dorm room for the next 3 years, so I need to save as much space as possible! There's only so much space on my desk, here, hahaha.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think the filter is fine, especially since bettas don't need a large amount of filtration. Just monitor your levels.

Also, using the old filter will jumpstart the bacteria in your new setup :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's true, but I'm thinking about getting off of carbon filters altogether :/
I may switch to sponge, but I'm not sure yet.
What would you recommend?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think my Walmart has a 5g glass "starter kit" for 25 dollars or so comes with hood and random stuff that you wouldn't need, but the hood and tank for 25 isnt too bad.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
The most perfectest filter for bettas (IMHO) is a really good sponge filter. Heaps of surface area for the bacteria to colonise, and an adjustable flow. :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I'll be darned! Walmart does have an acrylic with a hood, light, and filter (which I probably wouldn't use, but hey).
$25 isn't bad at all for what I could be paying! It's about the same price on amazon ... debating on whether to buy it now, but I probably should just be patient, like kfryman suggested.
The only problem I'd have would be the airline tubing from my filter. I've have to not close the lid all the way to keep it from pinching it off.

Bomba, could I buy sponges that I could cut to fit my filter?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Most tanks have lids that have spaces for heater and air lines to run into for the most part. Also the way I switched to my sponge filter is just wrap it in the floss of the old filter and after 4 weeks I'll pull it off.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, you opened the carbon filter cartridge, put the sponge in for a bit, and then used it? That's brilliant!

Oh shoot, I just realized that I'd need to take my filter out of my old tank in order to cycle the new ... huh

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whoa whoa whoa, holy poop I just notice how inexpensive sponge filters really are! And I have an air pump from my 3i already, so .... I may just get a sponge filter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here I'll show you.... Yeah the tank I was using to cycle that internal filter is going to be empty for a bit longer than expected. I needed my 5 gallons asap so I gutted the 10 gallon cartridge and shared the media between two tanks. If your sponge will fit into the cartridge you could wrap it and have the water pulled through it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Oh I know what filter you have, I was looking on Amazon. I found a nice little one that has a spray bar and two other things. The filter would be good, but if you find the Tom one I am talking about that would be really good. Carbon at first absorbs almost everything in the water, then it becomes a place for bacteria to settle, so you never actually have to keep replacing monthly.

If you really wanted to you could just buy a tank, then get a top and all that instead of buying a kit. Is it the Hawkeye tank from Walmart?

If you personally feel like it is a good deal get it, but also look aroind, some places have better deals than others at times then it switches. Just don't rush things.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm, well if I do end up getting, a sponge filter, which I probably will, I could just take the old floss, wrap it around for the cycle, and put a new cartridge in the old tank.
In the long run, it may make little difference, since I don't really have a ton of bacteria in my 3 gal. It'll be enough to start the cycle, but not so much that the removal of it will affect my old tank.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I know what filter you have, I was looking on Amazon. I found a nice little one that has a spray bar and two other things. The filter would be good, but if you find the Tom one I am talking about that would be really good. Carbon at first absorbs almost everything in the water, then it becomes a place for bacteria to settle, so you never actually have to keep replacing monthly.

If you really wanted to you could just buy a tank, then get a top and all that instead of buying a kit. Is it the Hawkeye tank from Walmart?

If you personally feel like it is a good deal get it, but also look aroind, some places have better deals than others at times then it switches. Just don't rush things.
I'll keep my eyes open, but if I want a good deal on a tank with a light, I think the Hawkeye is probably best, even if I don't use the filter.
Otherwise I'd be looking for a tank, hood, light, etc. and that could all be over $25. I'll keep looking though.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have that Hawkeye 5 gallon and I'm basically pleased.

It does have a notch for the filter to hang and I was able to fit both the hanger for the filter & the cord for the heater in it, so I don't think air line tubing would be a problem. There are also cut out spaces that you can remove if you need to, so it should work for you.

My biggest complaint is that whenever I open the lid for any reason, all the condensation that's inside the lid runs down the back of the tank! I currently have one of those thin, disposable cutting boards under it but it's just a bit too small so I need a larger one.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that's what a reviewer on Amazon said about the condensation.
Do you have the cutting board under the lid?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yeah, I think that's probably my review. :)

The cutting board, just a piece of heavy plastic really, is sitting under the tank itself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts