Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may or may not actually go ahead and do a spawn this summer, but it can't hurt to start planning in case I end up with plenty of time and money to spend, right?

Anyway, this will be my first spawn. If all goes well I'll keep the line going until I produce my final goal. It should take only a few generations, maybe two at the most if all goes well?

What is the goal, you ask? Why, a CTPKEE (Crowntail Plakat Elephant Ear)! xD I don't know if there's such a thing, but if I understand genetics correctly, it's possible. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong or suggest other things, I'm very open to helpful advice.

So, this is how I imagine it'll go.

F1: Plakat EE male x CTPK female = CTPK fry, carries EE gene
F2: Sibling pair from F1 = CTPKEE

Right? Maybe I'll have to do a third generation if the EE gene doesn't carry over well (smallish pectoral fins) but I'm hoping to get male with really big pectoral fins to size up the offspring well.

Thoughts? Advice? Will this work at all?

Also, as a side note, I already looked on AB (I know, bad me) and found this gorgeous HMPKEE with HUGE fins. I think he'd be an excellent founding father for this project, but I'm not sold on his colors. I won't be too concerned about colors but I would like the end product to be clean and not too muddy. What would happen if I bred him to a Cambodian CTPK?
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1394337317

Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sounds like it'll be a wonderful project!
I actually was looking up if it were possible to have a CTEE, and I've found nothing. I really hope that it's possible for what you're aiming for!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
wow, I would love fry from that spawn. I hope you go through with it. Ive never herd of that but I think it could be possible

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's a cool idea. xP

I suppose the next step is to gather all the items necessary before I get and spawn the pair. To make it easier on me, I'll edit this post with what I need/what I already have. But first I need to do some research! :) I'll be back soon with a list.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Argh, I can't find the Edit button so I'll just make a new post.

- Spawn tank
- Growout tank
- Plants
- Jars
- Heaters (3)
- Food
- Sponge filter
- Bubblewrap/Styrofoam cup
- Glass chimney

I have some questions for you veterans out there.
-Should I get snails and Indian Almond leaves as well?
-Can I get a 20 gal tank (or bigger) and divide it to use as a spawn tank, then take out the divider when the fry are ready for more space?
-Can I feed decapsulated BBS from the start?

Thanks for any advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts