Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

Hoping someone can help me with this!
I'm a new fish owner. I set up my first tank a couple of weeks ago, had the water tested and bought my first betta home yesterday. He's an absolutely gorgeous little guy with such a great little personality!
The one thing I'm unsure about is my aquarium soil. I'm from the UK, and I wanted to create a planted aquarium. The guy at the pet store handed me a bag of plant fertiliser/soil - which looks like thousands of tiny brown balls. He said I don't need gravel, but I decided to buy it anyway and add it atop this 'soil' to weight down my plants.
The tank has been growing great, but having fed my little betta, I noticed that the mini food pellets I gave him look almost identical to the soil substrate, except the soil doesn't float.
As I know bettas occasionally pick at the gravel (mine did this once today) I'm terrified he'll think the soil is food and eat it! He hasn't shown interest in it yet, but tends to rest around the plants frequently. A have a few pockets where this soil shows around my plants, and the last thing I want is to make my little betta sick! I might just be paranoid, as its my first fishie, but I want to make sure he's healthy and safe!

If anyone can offer any advice or sooth my concerns, I'd very much appreciate it! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wouldn’t worry.
Bettas usually prefer to eat from the surface or as food sinks, so if you feed the right amount, very little should reach the substrate.
Nor do they root about in the gravel much.
Also, from observing my crew, they have a good chomp at what they are eating, before they swallow.
Even if your lad did root through the gravel and suck in lumps of it (like goldfish do), he will just spit it out when it doesn’t taste of food.

I’ve only ever seen one of my three bettas eat from the bottom, and when he does, he is v picky!

Reactions: Sorority_Mad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't worry.
I use Tropica Substrate Soil in my Aquariums, looks extremely similar to yours except maybe darker. (@Ratvan uses this as well, he has kept Male Betta's for a while now might be worth waiting on a response) I've seen a couple of my Female pick up the odd chunk but it is quickly spat back out after a couple of attempts at eating it (like they do with the larger food pellets - eat, spit, eat, spit etc)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate it! It's so confusing when starting out as I got so much contradicting advice from pet stores! Nice to know it should be fine for him! He seems really comfortable in his new home! 🙂

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah whats been said already, your fish may pick a couple of grains up but they'll be spat out quite quick
Interestingly, when my Amano's feed they pick up the gravel grain by grain and discard them after removing the algae

Reactions: bluesamphire
1 - 5 of 5 Posts