Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 5.5 gallon with a male EE, a nerite snail and 3 ghost shrimp. I added the ghost shrimp tonight to see how he'd respond, and he appears to be okay with them so long as they're not near his hut that he rests in. As soon as he sees them nearby, he flares until they leave the area then he's fine. He was curious of the nerite when I added him, but has never looked at him since.

I plan on setting up a planted 10g very soon and plan on stocking it once it has cycled. I wanted a school of tetras, but decided against it after seeing they require more room. What do you guys think of 1 EE betta, 1 nerite snail, 3-5 ghost shrimp and 3-5 pygmy cory's? I'm not bent on the ghost shrimp, but definitely want a school of cory's provided they would do well in this setup.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I think the Pygmy Cories would be fine; but you want a minimum of six. I have a mix of Pygmy Cories and hasbrosus. The hasbrosus get a bit larger. I buy all my Micro fish from this site. If Pygmy Cories aren't on Rachel's Current Stock List, ask. She may have them.

Corydoras pygmaeus “Pygmy Cory” | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think bottom feeders like corys are usually less problematic than schooling fish. Thank you for the link! If I can't get any nanos at my LFS I will order from there.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
A lot of people have Rasboras and they are peaceful. Male Endlers are nice, too. I have some in a divided 10 (they can swim through the holes i the dividers) and they are colorful and don't nip the Bettas. They are much smaller than guppies and their tails aren't as flowing.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would leave out the ghost shrimp and just go with the pygmy corys.
I have habrosus corydoras and they are ridiculously cute. They are happiest with sand as a substrate though. They swim all over the tank, they don't always just stay at the bottom. I've found some sitting on the plants and on the betta leaf hammock in the tank :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow...corydoras are really cute! Each of my bettas has his own hammock lol. And yeah I have heard rasboras are quite peaceful and not a nippy fish.

I'm still understocked with 10 rasboras so I will add some pygmy corydoras in the future for the 15gallon if everyone seems happy and healthy.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts