Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I hope 2020 is off to a great start for all of you and your fish! I just did some revamping in my tanks, and thought I'd show them off! Percy's tank is a 3.4 gallon with just java fern in it, and Poe's tank is a 2.5 gallon with java fern and anubias in it. Poe is a half moon double tail, and has such trouble swimming because of all of his finnage. When I saw him in the pet store this summer, he was a tiny baby with horrible SBD due to his shorter body and overly large fins. I know this may be a contested topic, but I really wish people would stop breeding bettas for longer and heavier fins. It prevents them from doing the very thing they were meant to as a fish--swim!! It really diminishes the quality of life for these poor guys. I know by purchasing him, I'm just feeding into the problem, but I also wanted him to have a decent quality of life with a proper tank set-up. He seems to be quite a happy little guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I love what you did with the tanks. The plants have given your boys exactly what they need, a place to rest and just hang instead of having to continue to swim or lay on the bottom. I do agree with you about the breeding problems that have come up in the past years of breeding. I guess this is one reason I gave up breeding to begin with. I know when I get a HM with great finnage I have them is a tank that has more resting places. and I do flaring exercises with them to strengthen them. I also increase the filter and water flow so they swim in a current and get stronger.

Again I love your tanks .

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love what you did with the tanks. The plants have given your boys exactly what they need, a place to rest and just hang instead of having to continue to swim or lay on the bottom. I do agree with you about the breeding problems that have come up in the past years of breeding. I guess this is one reason I gave up breeding to begin with. I know when I get a HM with great finnage I have them is a tank that has more resting places. and I do flaring exercises with them to strengthen them. I also increase the filter and water flow so they swim in a current and get stronger.

Again I love your tanks .

Ty so much! Yes, i try to give all of my critters the best possible care, whether they have scales or fur. I try to mimic to the best of my ability what they would have in nature while also incorporating what their own individual needs are. Even though I don't have the largest of tanks for my bettas, I tend to get ones that are more "special needs" and are more suited to the smaller tanks. Which are still heated, filtered, and heavily planted.

Good for you for recognizing what the breeding for finnage does and stopping it. I understand why people do it, the long fins are stunning, and some of the most beautiful bettas I've ever seen have been the HM rosetails. Poe's fins are beautiful, but they come at a severe cost to him. His dorsal fin is especially heavy, and it causes him to tilt over onto one side when he's up near the top of the tank. I try to have plants in there for him that are various heights for him to rest on as he gets tired. I should start having him flare more to build up strength, thanks for that suggestion!

Percy just chomps off his fins when they get too long for his liking. i wish he wouldn't, because it poses a threat of infection, but i completely get why he does it. I would too if I had those long fins. I don't think enough credit is given to that when people ask about the tail biting. I think a lot of times, it's simply because the long fins are too troublesome to them.

Thanks again for the compliments and suggestions!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have one black and yellow HM rose tail Mustard Gas. Who I just noticed yesterday had started fin biting. It's not much yet but I'm keeping a very close watch on him. I think the reason he just started to do this is because his fins were getting very long and heavy. He has always been in a 5.5 gallon heavily planted tank and has chosen a resting place to watch over me at the computer back by one of the broad leafed plants in front of his heater. I think some of the ragged edges could be from the plants filling in and not giving him a clear path to swim. The last time I thinned out his plants he got very upset and would not come out for days.

We go threw this every few months but he still does not like any changes made to his tank. LOL
All the other betta I have except for Morry, who is a very dark red VT.) are HM or Delta tail, their fins are not as heavy and they get plenty of exercise in the current from the filter. I know this would sound strange but there is a way and I do not recommend anyone that does not know what they are doing to do this, but as a last resort to rescue a betta that could not swim right because his tail was so heavy and would not allow him to come to the surface in a 2.5 gallon vase. They had to trim the fins in order to lighten his load. It worked well and the little guy is doing fine and the fins have all but grown back. But with flaring A exercises and swimming in current he has made a great recovery. As I said I do not recommend doing this unless you knew how to and had the experience to do so and then treat him so no infection occurs. But it did save his life.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bettas are such funny little fish, they have their ways of letting us know precisely how they feel about things! I don't think I'd trim his fins, as he is able to get to the top of the tank for air, and he has his little floaty log to rest against either inside or outside of it for stability, so he's able to live a pretty happy and healthy life. Certainly much more so if he were to be in a tiny bowl.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Bettas are such funny little fish, they have their ways of letting us know precisely how they feel about things! I don't think I'd trim his fins, as he is able to get to the top of the tank for air, and he has his little floaty log to rest against either inside or outside of it for stability, so he's able to live a pretty happy and healthy life. Certainly much more so if he were to be in a tiny bowl.
I totally agree. he is better off all the way around. And as I said for some one to trim the fins it take real experience with fish to even thin of this action. (It has been done but I would not even try doing it with my 45 years in fish keeping. This would be a very last resort.) Anything to a betta besides being in that cup or a small bowl is like putting them in Hog heaven. They all have their own personalities and they all give you the same love to say Thank You for the care and treatment they get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts