Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I believe HC is pretty hard to grow. You generally need a very rich substrate (such as aquasoil), CO2 and high lighting to get it to carpet like that.

It can take quite a while for it to carpet like that, which is why most people use the dry-start method where it is grown emersed (out of water).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe HC is pretty hard to grow. You generally need a very rich substrate (such as aquasoil), CO2 and high lighting to get it to carpet like that.

It can take quite a while for it to carpet like that, which is why most people use the dry-start method where it is grown emersed (out of water).
what do you mean the dry start method? can u explain more please

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Well basically, it's where you have the tank full enough that only the substrate is damp/wet and plant out your HC or whatever plant you are using. You use cling wrap or a cover over the top to keep in the humidity and then you can spritz the plants with water and ferts whenever you think they need it.

Once your plants have established themselves, you then flood/fill the tank and if your conditions are right, there should be a period of minimal adjustment from emersed to submersed and you have (hopefully) a lush carpet of HC.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well basically, it's where you have the tank full enough that only the substrate is damp/wet and plant out your HC or whatever plant you are using. You use cling wrap or a cover over the top to keep in the humidity and then you can spritz the plants with water and ferts whenever you think they need it.

Once your plants have established themselves, you then flood/fill the tank and if your conditions are right, there should be a period of minimal adjustment from emersed to submersed and you have (hopefully) a lush carpet of HC.
ok what about java moss is it easier to grow because the HC sounds really difficult lol

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Java moss is easy. There are a couple easy varieties of mosses. You could make a moss carpet I bet! It would look different, but still nice I'm sure! I do nothing with mine and it just grows in a clump on a log just fine. I want to make a moss wall in the future!

In fact:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS443US443&q=java+moss+carpet&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=XEgVT9_ZM7O42QWh2NydBA&biw=1680&bih=882&sei=XkgVT7WsIaaC2AW-oOCECg

Google search for java moss carpet!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Java moss is easy. There are a couple easy varieties of mosses. You could make a moss carpet I bet! It would look different, but still nice I'm sure! I do nothing with mine and it just grows in a clump on a log just fine. I want to make a moss wall in the future!

In fact:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS443US443&q=java+moss+carpet&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=XEgVT9_ZM7O42QWh2NydBA&biw=1680&bih=882&sei=XkgVT7WsIaaC2AW-oOCECg

Google search for java moss carpet!
do i have to feed it any special nutrients or dose it just grow without any help?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts