Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depends.

Does your filter have carbon in it? While most of the fertilizers wouldn't be bound by carbon, some could, and then I'd suggest not turning off your filter but pulling the activated carbon from it (it's not all that useful in a healthy aquarium).

If your filter already has no chemical media in it, you're good to go and don't need to turn it off for the plant fertilizers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends.

Does your filter have carbon in it? While most of the fertilizers wouldn't be bound by carbon, some could, and then I'd suggest not turning off your filter but pulling the activated carbon from it (it's not all that useful in a healthy aquarium).

If your filter already has no chemical media in it, you're good to go and don't need to turn it off for the plant fertilizers.
my filter has carbon what do u suggest i do ?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
So you regularly replace the carbon? Typically they don't last long, and you need to change the carbon for it to keep its effect, otherwise it will have no affect on the water, so of you don't Change it hem the plants should have very little trouble attaining the supplements, and additives

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you regularly replace the carbon? Typically they don't last long, and you need to change the carbon for it to keep its effect, otherwise it will have no affect on the water, so of you don't Change it hem the plants should have very little trouble attaining the supplements, and additives
its a brand new one just got like last week i got a pack full of them so id say im good for about a year lol but what do you guys suggest to do turn off the filter when poring my vitamins and let the water sit without the filter for a bit or ?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Depends on the fertiliser. When I am spot-treating algae with Flourish Excel, I leave the filter off for an hour but when I add Flourish or Iron, I don't.
Definitely remove the carbon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is it charcoal inside the filter media?
If it is,you can just cut the pad or bag and dump the charcoal out,rinse the pad or bag and run it that way.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
After a while carbon does lose the effect, but then it is good for housing bacteria. I wouldn't really change out the cartridges until they are falling apart. Though don't change them all at once.

With plants it is way better to not have carbon since it usually absorbs the fertilization. Just saying, plants absorb 40-400 times the amount of nutrients by substrate than in the water column.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It all depends on the plants,the ones with buried roots do,but rhysome plants get all thiers from the water.
I have a mixture of the two in my main tank.
Best to just get rid of the charcoal and not rely on it for your biological filter.
Besides,the prepacked filter packets do not have enough charcoal in the to do a half decent job of anything!
That is why I said cut the packets or bags and empty the charcoal out.
I buy the sheets of filter material and cut them to size for my hobs and my cannister.
Cheaper than the manufactors and do just as good a job.

·
Registered
170 Posts
With plants it is way better to not have carbon since it usually absorbs the fertilization. Just saying, plants absorb 40-400 times the amount of nutrients by substrate than in the water column.
Errmm ... I'm afraid that isn't true.

Floating plants, stem plants, and non-substrate rooted plants (like Java Moss, Java Fern, and Anubias) get absolutely nothing from the substrate, or very little.

Substrate rooted plants, like Amazon Swords and Crypts do get some benefit from an enriched substrate or root tabs but it is in no way required. They can grow just as well with only the use of a good balanced liquid fertilizer like Flourish Comprehensive.

Here is a photo of my 20 gallon that is grown in the epoxy coated gravel you most often see at pet stores, the plants obviously get no benefit whatsoever from this coated gravel.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If I am correct,those have a plastic back,you can snip the plastic strips and dump the charcoal out.
No need to buy a new filter,I had something like that years ago,sniping the plastic strips and dumping the charcoal out will not effect the flilter medium at all,I have done that before.
Maybe when you use up the filter packs you can switch to something else.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Geomancer, of course nonsubstrate plants wouldn't get nutrients from the substrate, the name says non substrate for a reason.

Roots are the most important part of plants, that is where they get almost all of their nutrients. Leaves are for getting light that keeps them alive. The reason why liquid ferts work a bit is because the water that has it in it will seep through the substrate and go to the roots.

To me a substrate without nutrients will not let thrive as if in dirt or good nutrient rich substrate. It has been proven by a guy named Dustinsfishtanks on YouTube. He planted half with dirt and half without, of course the dirt side sucked. He had stems, swords and other plants in it, same plants on both sides too. He is experienced as well.

You can believe what you believe I really don't mind as it does not affect me or my aquariums at all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so if i snipp the back and empty out all the carbon i can run the filter while pouring my vitamins for my plants correct ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yes, that is correct. Although, just to muddy the water...you could take out the cartridge, leave filter on, add ferts, let run couple of hours, then put cartridge back in....that is what I do with my filters( I have 1 of those)! Of course I rarely add ferts to my NPT (natural planted tanks) and when I do it is to spot treat algae or plant that is doing poorly.

Confusing, huh?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, that is correct. Although, just to muddy the water...you could take out the cartridge, leave filter on, add ferts, let run couple of hours, then put cartridge back in....that is what I do with my filters( I have 1 of those)! Of course I rarely add ferts to my NPT (natural planted tanks) and when I do it is to spot treat algae or plant that is doing poorly.

Confusing, huh?
lol thanks bud for the help

what should i do with the one thats in there now i cant just switch them cuz i have beneficial bacteria on it what do you suggest ?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts