Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So I've been wanting to start a planted tank for a long time and I want to know if plants actually require dirt to grow or if the plants could survive planted in gravel?

And how do you start a planted tank? Like do you buy already grown plants and plant them in the dirt/gravel or do you buy seeds and wait for them to grow out?

·
Super Moderator
19,263 Posts
I use sand and add root tabs for the plants actually rooted in the substrate. Root tabs are little capsules with fertiizer in them.

Most people buy already-growing plants. If I were advising someone new, I would tell them to buy a couple of Anubias as they are almost bullet-proof. You can let them float or you can weight them down or tie them to driftwood or rocks. You do not plant them and they don't need fertilizer.

Swords are fairly easy but can get big so it depends on what size is your tank. They need root tabs. Floating plants such as Narrow Leaf Anacharis, Soft Hornwort and Najas/Guppy Grass are fast-growing, easy plants you can weight down or float.

If you buy from a pet store make sure what they are selling is truly aquatic; they often sell terrestrial plants as aquatic and they die. So research.

There are several members who offer plants in the Classified section (Lilnaugrim, Summersea, AquaAurora) and one member, JDAquatics, who has an eBay store and sells on AquaBid. He has nice Anubias.

Planted tanks are great fun. Just don't go too big in the beginning and overwhelm yourself. ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts