Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found some soil I thought would be okay because the ingredients say sphagnum peat, horticultural vermiculite, perlite and wetting agent.

I've read what all of these are an think they will be okay... Except the wetting agent. I have no idea what it is and if it could hurt my betta and snails. Anyone know what this stuff is?

My other question is, if this soil will not work can I use regular dirt from my yard? I can't really afford the giant organic miracle grow bag and I can't seem to find anything smaller -_-

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read it a year or so ago but I dont recall seeing anything about the wetting agents and as for my back yard... I just moved in and have no idea what may or may not have been used on it. xP

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not sure what the wetting agent is. Honestly I havn't paid much attention to the ingredients, but I have never had a problem with any organic soil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm okay well maybe I will test it, in the name of science! Not on my betta obviously.. XP I could test it on some pond snails first or somethin.

·
Registered
406 Posts
This guy on Youtube has some entertaining and actually very sound advice on setting up a tank while spending almost no money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEoGhsTvzNk

He specifically goes over how to safely use dirt from your yard as substrate. I would try and choose dirt that you (hopefully) know has not been treated with insecticides or weed killers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just don't follow his advice about using aged water in lieu of a water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine. Using aged water used to be good advice, when water treatment facilities only used chlorine, which will evaporate over time. Now they also use chloramine, which does not evaporate no matter how long you age water. So you still have to use a water conditioner to make tap water safe for your fish.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yea, I always use water conditioner lol I forgot it like once and put it in an hour later and worried about my fish for days xD I could never trust the aged water thing x) thank you <3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts